Black Pepper Fried Rice
with cashews / scrambled eggs
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, diced
- Broccoli - 10 oz, chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separate
- Eggs - 4, whisked
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Cooked rice (leftover from Monday) - ~2 cups
- Cashews - 2 oz
- Ginger - 2 tsp, grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Hoisin sauce - 2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Make black pepper sauce - Grate ginger and chop garlic. Combine with soy sauce, hoisin, black pepper, toasted sesame oil, and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Broccoli - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions, keeping white and green parts separate. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Eggs - Whisk eggs.
- Heat a wok with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add white parts of green onions, bell peppers, and broccoli and saute until starting to darken in spots, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add water and cover wok with a lid. Steam vegetables for 2 minutes. Remove lid and continue cooking until excess water has cooked off.
- Pour sauce over vegetables. Bring to a simmer and simmer until sauce reduces, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Move vegetables the sides of the pan to form a donut. Pour eggs into the middle of the “donut” and scramble until nearly cooked through.
- Add rice to pan and toss everything together to combine.
- Remove from heat and stir cashews into rice.
- Serve stir-fry with green parts of green onions on top. Enjoy!
We doubled the sauce and also had some water that cooked out before we added the sauce that we sopped up with paper towels. Otherwise, it was excellent!0 Helpful
Definitely double the sauce. Otherwise, super delicious!0 Helpful
I think this was the best dish I made this week. I'll make extra sauce next time, but it was still delicious.0 Helpful
We made this and I would have liked more sauce. But pretty good with extra soy sauce. We’re trying it again tonight, this time with double the sauce plus mushrooms.0 Helpful
Super yummy! I made it with chicken instead, still came out great.0 Helpful
I used shaved steak to save time. This was delicious and very simple to execute.0 Helpful