Black Pepper Fried Rice
with cashews / scrambled eggs
With leftover rice from earlier in the week, this fried rice will come together super fast. A small amount of sauce goes a long way to flavor the rice, especially because it includes ginger, garlic, black pepper, and a bit of Hoisin sauce.
Black Pepper Fried Rice:
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , diced
- Broccoli - 10 oz , chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts separate
- Eggs - 4 , whisked
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Cooked rice (leftover from Monday) - ~2 cups
- Cashews - 2 oz
Black Pepper Sauce:
- Ginger - 2 tsp , grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Hoisin sauce - 2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Make black pepper sauce - Grate ginger and chop garlic. Combine with soy sauce, hoisin, black pepper, toasted sesame oil, and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Broccoli - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions, keeping white and green parts separate. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Eggs - Whisk eggs.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a wok with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add white parts of green onions, bell peppers, and broccoli and saute until starting to darken in spots, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add water and cover wok with a lid. Steam vegetables for 2 minutes. Remove lid and continue cooking until excess water has cooked off.
- Pour sauce over vegetables. Bring to a simmer and simmer until sauce reduces, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Move vegetables the sides of the pan to form a donut. Pour eggs into the middle of the “donut” and scramble until nearly cooked through.
- Add rice to pan and toss everything together to combine.
- Remove from heat and stir cashews into rice.
- Serve stir-fry with green parts of green onions on top. Enjoy!