Black Pepper Beef Stir-fry
with cauliflower rice
- Cauliflower florets - 12 oz
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, sliced
- Broccoli - 10 oz, chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separate
- Beef, sirloin, flank, or skirt - 1 lb (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Ginger - 2 tsp, grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Bragg's / Coconut aminos - 3 Tbsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Cauliflower rice - Skip if cauliflower rice was made ahead for Monday. Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with some salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make black pepper sauce - Grate ginger and chop garlic. Combine with aminos, water, honey, black pepper, toasted sesame oil, and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Broccoli - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions, keeping white and green parts separate. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Beef - Slice against the grain into 2” / 5 cm strips. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a wok with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add white parts of green onions, bell peppers, and broccoli and saute until starting to darken in spots, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add water and cover wok with a lid. Steam vegetables for 2 minutes. Remove lid and continue cooking until excess water has cooked off.
- Move vegetable to the sides of the pan and add steak. Saute everything until steak is nearly cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour sauce over vegetables and steak.
- Toss everything together until sauce thickens and steak is cooked through. Squeeze lime juice over stir-fry.
- If cauliflower rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve stir-fry over cauliflower rice with green parts of green onions on top. Enjoy!
We doubled the sauce and also had some water that cooked out before we added the sauce that we sopped up with paper towels. Otherwise, it was excellent!0 Helpful
Definitely double the sauce. Otherwise, super delicious!0 Helpful
I think this was the best dish I made this week. I'll make extra sauce next time, but it was still delicious.0 Helpful
We made this and I would have liked more sauce. But pretty good with extra soy sauce. We’re trying it again tonight, this time with double the sauce plus mushrooms.0 Helpful
Super yummy! I made it with chicken instead, still came out great.0 Helpful
I used shaved steak to save time. This was delicious and very simple to execute.0 Helpful