Black Pepper Beef Stir-fry
with cauliflower rice
This quick stir-fry is an updated version of a recipe we first featured in 2015. Fresh cracked black pepper can really add some spicy kick and flavor to the sauce in this stir-fry, so feel free to adjust the amount you use. You'll still get plenty of flavor out of the dish.
Black Pepper Beef Stir-Fry:
- Cauliflower florets - 12 oz
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , sliced
- Broccoli - 10 oz , chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts separate
- Beef, sirloin, flank, or skirt - 1 lb (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
Black Pepper Sauce:
- Ginger - 2 tsp , grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Bragg's / Coconut aminos - 3 Tbsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Cauliflower rice - Skip if cauliflower rice was made ahead for Monday. Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with some salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make black pepper sauce - Grate ginger and chop garlic. Combine with aminos, water, honey, black pepper, toasted sesame oil, and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Broccoli - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions, keeping white and green parts separate. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Beef - Slice against the grain into 2” / 5 cm strips. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a wok with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add white parts of green onions, bell peppers, and broccoli and saute until starting to darken in spots, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add water and cover wok with a lid. Steam vegetables for 2 minutes. Remove lid and continue cooking until excess water has cooked off.
- Move vegetable to the sides of the pan and add steak. Saute everything until steak is nearly cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour sauce over vegetables and steak.
- Toss everything together until sauce thickens and steak is cooked through. Squeeze lime juice over stir-fry.
- If cauliflower rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve stir-fry over cauliflower rice with green parts of green onions on top. Enjoy!