Black Pepper Beef Stir-fry
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 3/4 cup
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, sliced
- Broccoli - 10 oz, chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separate
- Beef, sirloin, flank, or skirt - 1 lb (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Ginger - 2 tsp, grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Hoisin sauce - 1 Tbsp
- Sugar, brown - 2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Rice - Skip if rice was made ahead for Monday. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make black pepper sauce - Grate ginger and chop garlic. Combine with soy sauce, water, hoisin, brown sugar, black pepper, toasted sesame oil, and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Broccoli - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions, keeping white and green parts separate. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Beef - Slice against the grain into 2” / 5 cm strips. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a wok with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add white parts of green onions, bell peppers, and broccoli and saute until starting to darken in spots, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add first portion of water and cover wok with a lid. Steam vegetables for 2 minutes. Remove lid and continue cooking until excess water has cooked off.
- Move vegetable to the sides of the pan and add steak. Saute everything until steak is nearly cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour sauce over vegetables and steak.
- Whisk together second portion of water and cornstarch. Add to wok.
- Toss everything together until sauce thickens and steak is cooked through. Squeeze lime juice over stir-fry.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve stir-fry over rice with green parts of green onions on top. Enjoy!
We doubled the sauce and also had some water that cooked out before we added the sauce that we sopped up with paper towels. Otherwise, it was excellent!0 Helpful
Definitely double the sauce. Otherwise, super delicious!0 Helpful
I think this was the best dish I made this week. I'll make extra sauce next time, but it was still delicious.0 Helpful
We made this and I would have liked more sauce. But pretty good with extra soy sauce. We’re trying it again tonight, this time with double the sauce plus mushrooms.0 Helpful
Super yummy! I made it with chicken instead, still came out great.0 Helpful
I used shaved steak to save time. This was delicious and very simple to execute.0 Helpful