Mushroom and Grilled Vegetable Panzanella
with balsamic vinaigrette
Smarts: Make sure to add the toasted bread right before serving so it retains some crunch.
Smarts: This recipe makes a double batch of vegetables and mushrooms so they are ready to go for Thursday night's meal.
- Walnuts, halves or pieces - 2 oz
- Bell peppers, red - 2
- Zucchini - 1 1/2 lbs
- Eggplants - 1 lb
- Mushrooms, portobello - 4, stems removed
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup, halved
- Basil - 12 leaves, chiffonade
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Sandwich bread - 4 slices
- Mixed greens - 8 oz
- Shallots - 1 clove, diced
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1/4 cup
- Walnuts - If you’d like the walnuts toasted, toast in a dry skillet until fragrant and golden, 4 to 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shallots - Dice shallots. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make balsamic vinaigrette - Whisk together shallots, vinegar, mustard, and honey. Add oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Zucchini / Eggplant / Mushrooms - This makes enough for two nights. Core red peppers and slice in half. Slice zucchini and eggplant into 1/2” / 1.25 cm thick slices. Remove stems from mushrooms and scrape out gills. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Basil - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 2 days ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse beans.
- If cooking on a grill: Heat grill to 500F / 260C degrees with one portion of grill over direct heat and one portion over indirect heat.
- If cooking on the stovetop / oven: Turn on the oven’s broiler. Place an oven rack 6” / 15 cm from the heat source.
- If cooking on a grill: Brush heated grates with some cooking oil. Cook bell peppers, zucchini, and eggplant over direct heat until lightly charred, turning to cook on both sides. Move vegetables to indirect heat and continue cooking, with the lid closed, until tender, 4 to 6 minutes. When vegetables are nearly tender, cook mushrooms over direct heat until tender, 2 to 5 minutes. Season mushrooms and vegetables with some salt as they cook. Set vegetables and mushrooms aside. Toast bread on the grill.
- If cooking in the oven: Spread vegetables and mushrooms out in a single layer on a sheet pan (use two sheet pans if needed). Brush with some cooking oil and season with some salt and pepper. Cook under the broiler until lightly charred and tender, turning halfway through cooking. Toast bread.
- Roughly chop vegetables and mushrooms. (Reserve half for Thursday.)
- Slice grilled / toasted bread into cubes.
- Combine mixed greens, vegetables, mushrooms, tomatoes, basil, and beans. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- Add bread and walnuts to salad and toss just before serving. Enjoy!
So so great! Wish my 7yo would eat any of the vegetables… more for me. She loved the bread though :).0 Helpful
Salad dressing was good, I’ve never tried it with shallots in it before.0 Helpful
Easy and delish0 Helpful
made it as a sandwich. lovely!0 Helpful
I was excited to make this meal, and not disappointed! Loved the flavor of the veggies, the crunch of the spinach, the vinaigrette, and most of all, the bread cubes. I fell in love with toasted pine nuts from a different recipe and might add them in next time.0 Helpful
Going to second what someone else said about using dried eggplant - my fresh eggplant turned out extremely mushy and I ended up picking it all out. I got to use up some of the cherry tomatoes and basil from my garden, too! Overall really good, enjoyed it!0 Helpful