Tofu and Green Bean Stir-Fry
Smarts: Feel free to skip the jalapenos and / or chili garlic sauce if you'd prefer less heat in the finished dish.
- Rice, uncooked white or brown (enough for 2 nights) - 2 cups
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz, 1/2" / 1.3 cm cubes (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Green beans - 1 lb, 2” / 5 cm pieces
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, diced
- Green onions - 1 stalk, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Edamame, shelled - 1 cup
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Ginger - 2 tsp, grated
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Water - 3 Tbsp
- Hoisin sauce - 3 Tbsp
- Ketchup - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Chili garlic sauce - 1/2 tsp
- Rice - This makes enough for 2 nights. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Green beans / Jalapenos / Ginger / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store green beans in one container. Store jalapenos in a second container. Store ginger and garlic in a third container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pre-cook green beans - Place green beans in a microwave-safe container. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave on high until tender, 4 to 6 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make Hoisin stir-fry sauce - Combine ginger, garlic, water, hoisin sauce, ketchup, soy sauce, sugar, and chili garlic sauce. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Edamame - Defrost edamame in the microwave.
- Toss tofu with cornstarch, garlic powder, salt, and smoked paprika.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and then tofu. Sear tofu on all sides until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Move tofu to the side of the pan. Add green beans, jalapenos, and edamame and saute until heated through.
- Pour sauce over tofu and vegetables. Bring to a simmer. Simmer until sauce thickens, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave (reserve half for Wednesday).
- Serve stir-fry over rice with green onions on top. Enjoy!
This recipe was easy and delicious!0 Helpful
These ribs were amazing. Everyone loved them. The marinated Green Beans were ok. I was surprised how well the rice went with the ribs.0 Helpful
This is so good my mouth is watering just remembering eating it. We have made this multiple times for guests. They love it just like we do.0 Helpful
Ribs on a weeknight?! That are this delicious!? We've made this meal multiple times now, including for guests. Such a winner!0 Helpful
I did not like the flavor of the ribs and won't be making these again.0 Helpful
I didn’t like the flavor of these, and the ribs weren’t as juicy as I wanted them. It was probably user error. Plus, I live in Texas. Delicious BBQ is around every corner :)0 Helpful