Dry Rub Chicken with Nectarine Salsaand farro / green beans
There is a summery simplicity to this chicken in a flavorful dry rub served with a fresh fruit salsa. The grill really brings out the flavor of the chicken in this dish, but it's just as great cooked on the stovetop. This popular dish was first featured in a meal plan in summer 2017.
- Farro, semi-pearled / husked and uncooked - 1 cup
- Italian seasoning - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Mustard, dried (opt) - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Brown sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Chicken breast tenders - 1 1/2 lbs (sub boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Jalapenos - 1, diced
- Nectarines - 2, chopped (sub peaches)
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, chopped
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Lime zest - 1/2 tsp
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Sriracha - 1/2 tsp (sub any hot sauce)
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Almonds, slivered - 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 Tbsp
- Cook farro - Skip if farro was made ahead for Wednesday. Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Give it a generous sprinkle of salt and add farro. If you bought semi-pearled or husked farro, it should take about 25 minutes to cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make dry rub - Combine Italian seasoning, salt, garlic powder, dried mustard, black pepper, cumin, and brown sugar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green beans / Shallots / Jalapenos - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Rub chicken on all sides with spice rub. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Make salsa - Chop nectarines (video is for slicing, but take it one step further and roughly chop slices), tomatoes, and cilantro. Combine with olive oil, lime zest and juice, honey, jalapenos, and Sriracha. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- If cooking on grill: Heat grill so that burners or coals are at high heat on one half of grill, leaving the other half for cooking with indirect heat. When grill is hot, clean grates and brush with cooking oil. Sear chicken on both sides over hottest part of grill. Transfer to indirect heat and cook, with lid closed, for 6 to 8 minutes (until chicken reaches 165F / 74C degrees).
- If cooking on stove / oven: Heat oven to 400F / 204C. Heat an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then chicken to heated oil. Sear on both sides for 2 to 3 minutes each, until golden brown. Cover loosely with foil and bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes (until chicken reaches 165F / 74C degrees).
- Combine green beans and shallots in a microwave-safe bowl. Add 1 Tbsp / 15 mL of water (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing) and cover with a paper towel. Microwave on high until beans are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Toss with almonds and vinegar. Season with some salt.
- If made ahead, reheat farro in the microwave or in a frying pan with a splash of water.
- Serve chicken over farro with nectarine salsa over top and green beans on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 25 reviews
We love this meal so much. It’s one of those that really just tastes like summer! We always reduce the salt by a 1/4 in the dry rub for our tastes.
Excellent! The freshness of the nectarine / jalapeño perfectly complemented the saltiness of the chicken. Swapped out the beans for a simple side salad. One of our favorite meals so far.
Relatively simple and flavorful meal! I don't think the lime yogurt brought much to the dish. It was a great simple and easy summer meal.
Would definitely cook the farro in some broth (chx, veg) next time, needed a little more flavor. The nectarine salsa was wonderful and complemented the chicken well.
This was tasty and easy! 4 stars just for the nectarine salsa alone!