Ham, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Sandwiches
with okra “fries”
- Shallots - 1 clove, diced
- Ham, deli-sliced - 4 oz, chopped
- Spinach, baby - 2 oz, chopped
- Eggs - 8
- Milk - 2 Tbsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Cheese, any shredded blend - 4 oz
- Sandwich rolls - 4
- Mayonnaise - 1/4 cup
- Curry powder - 1/2 tsp
- Okra - 1 lb, trimmed and halved (sub green beans or broccoli florets)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Make curry aioli - If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep. Whisk together mayonnaise and curry powder. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shallots / Ham - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Spinach - Roughly chop spinach. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Eggs - Whisk eggs and milk.
- Okra - Slice stems off okra and halve lengthwise.
- Heat oven to 450F / 232C.
- Toss okra with oil and spread onto a sheet pan. Season with some salt. Roast for 20 minutes, shaking once midway through.
- While okra roasts, heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add butter and then shallots to melted butter. Saute until shallots are starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add ham and cook for 1 minute more. Reduce heat to low and add eggs. Scramble over low heat until cooked to your liking.
- Remove eggs from heat and stir in spinach and cheese. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Toast rolls.
- Divide scrambled eggs between rolls.
- Serve sandwiches with okra and curry aioli on the side. (Dip the okra in sauce like fries.) Enjoy!
This is a family favorite!0 Helpful
So easy and delicious. We subbed green beans for the okra though, as okra is the worst vegetable known to man.0 Helpful
I am vegetarian, hubby is not. This recipe was a winner for both of us. I made it vegetarian, and at the last minute, stirred some ham into his half. Ii put it on English muffins. Fabulous! My mother, now passed, would be so disappointed that I didn't choose the adventure of okra. I played it safe with broccoli. Aioli was delic. Next chance I have of cooking for just myself, okra it will be!0 Helpful
We eat Keto, so I just left out the rolls entirely to make it low-carb and swapped out the milk for cream. The shallots in butter really pull the egg dish together. My favorite part though was definitely the okra fries with curry aioli. I am a huge fan of fried okra, and this had a similar taste, but low carbs. They needed a bit more time to crisp up - closer to 30 minutes rather than 20. I think those will become a regular on our menu because even my toddler loved them.0 Helpful
Couldn't get okra so used green beans and skipped the aioli. Did the whole thing as a scramble on the stovetop because it was so hot the day I made this.0 Helpful
Skipped the Okra, made sweet potato fries instead0 Helpful