Ham, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Sandwicheswith okra “fries”
- Shallots - 1 clove, diced
- Ham, deli-sliced - 4 oz, chopped
- Spinach, baby - 2 oz, chopped
- Eggs - 8
- Milk - 2 Tbsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Cheese, any shredded blend - 4 oz
- Sandwich rolls - 4
- Mayonnaise - 1/4 cup
- Curry powder - 1/2 tsp
- Okra - 1 lb, trimmed and halved (sub green beans or broccoli florets)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Make curry aioli - If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep. Whisk together mayonnaise and curry powder. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shallots / Ham - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Spinach - Roughly chop spinach. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Eggs - Whisk eggs and milk.
- Okra - Slice stems off okra and halve lengthwise.
- Heat oven to 450F / 232C.
- Toss okra with oil and spread onto a sheet pan. Season with some salt. Roast for 20 minutes, shaking once midway through.
- While okra roasts, heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add butter and then shallots to melted butter. Saute until shallots are starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add ham and cook for 1 minute more. Reduce heat to low and add eggs. Scramble over low heat until cooked to your liking.
- Remove eggs from heat and stir in spinach and cheese. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Toast rolls.
- Divide scrambled eggs between rolls.
- Serve sandwiches with okra and curry aioli on the side. (Dip the okra in sauce like fries.) Enjoy!
This meal has 27 reviews
So easy and delicious. We subbed green beans for the okra though, as okra is the worst vegetable known to man.
I am vegetarian, hubby is not. This recipe was a winner for both of us. I made it vegetarian, and at the last minute, stirred some ham into his half. Ii put it on English muffins. Fabulous! My mother, now passed, would be so disappointed that I didn't choose the adventure of okra. I played it safe with broccoli. Aioli was delic. Next chance I have of cooking for just myself, okra it will be!
We eat Keto, so I just left out the rolls entirely to make it low-carb and swapped out the milk for cream. The shallots in butter really pull the egg dish together. My favorite part though was definitely the okra fries with curry aioli. I am a huge fan of fried okra, and this had a similar taste, but low carbs. They needed a bit more time to crisp up - closer to 30 minutes rather than 20. I think those will become a regular on our menu because even my toddler loved them.
Couldn't get okra so used green beans and skipped the aioli. Did the whole thing as a scramble on the stovetop because it was so hot the day I made this.
Skipped the Okra, made sweet potato fries instead
This was fantastic! I LOVED the Okra fries and the sandwiches were GREAT! My 3 year old and husband both ate well! :-D I used a cheddar blend (Harris Teeter gourmet cheddar or something like that) but I think a white cheese (like swiss/provolone) would've been really good too! I always love okra, but this was extra good! I think you definitely need to use FRESH okra (July/August crop in NC) and make sure you do shake the pan/move it around at least once. Cook until its brown and crispy. Will definitely mark this one as a favorite to serve when company visits and is still around the next day expecting breakfast! :)