California-Style Tacos with Hearts of Palm
with avocado / lime slaw / spinach salad
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Sriracha - 3 tsp (sub any hot sauce)
- Lime juice - 2 tsp + 2 tsp
- Coleslaw mix - 5 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Eggs - 1
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Panko breadcrumbs - 2/3 cup
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Avocados - 1, sliced
- Hearts of palm (15 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Foil - for baking
- Limes - 1/2, wedges
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 8
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, chopped
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Spinach, baby - 5 oz
- Pepitas / pumpkin seeds - 1/4 cup
- Make Sriracha yogurt sauce - If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep. Whisk together yogurt, Sriracha, and first part of lime juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Dress slaw - Combine coleslaw mix with second part of lime juice, oil (portion for tacos), and sugar. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Prep breading stations - In a bowl large enough to hold all of the hearts of palm, whisk eggs with garlic powder and salt. In another container or ziptop bag combine panko and chili powder.
- Tomatoes / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Hearts of palm - Drain and rinse. Slice into 2" / 5 cm pieces. Pat dry.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- Bread hearts of palm by tossing them in egg mixture. Transfer to panko mixture and toss until fully coated.
- Line a sheet pan with foil and brush with some oil. Spread breaded hearts of palm out in a single layer.
- Bake hearts of palm, flipping halfway through, until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes.
- While hearts of palm are baking, in a large mixing bowl whisk together mustard, vinegar, and paprika. Add oil (portion for salad) while whisking. Top vinaigrette with tomatoes, spinach, and pepitas. Wait to toss until right before serving.
- Slice limes into wedges and chop cilantro.
- Warm tortillas according to package instructions.
- Taste slaw and season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Fill tortillas with slaw, hearts of palm, and avocados. Top with Sriracha yogurt sauce and cilantro and serve with lime wedges. Enjoy with salad on the side.
*Vegetarian/gluten free review* Great meal, enjoyed by all. Be sure to adjust the spice level of the yogurt sauce for those dining with you - it sits at about a 3+ on a scale of 5 as directed. Also be aware of how fast the hearts of palm cool once removed from the oven. Serve quickly! Made this once before, it was ok. This time is was sure to remove the soft parts of the palm before breading and baking and it made a WORLD of difference. I've been instructed to make this particular meal once a week now. Thank you Cook Smarts!!!!0 Helpful
This was great. The salad could have been a little more flavorful. I would try more vinegar or balsamic instead next time.0 Helpful
I loved this!0 Helpful
added more taco fixings (avocado, cilantro) which really helped, liked the texture of the hearts of palm0 Helpful
Thought the whole thing was pretty bland. Yogurt dressing helped, but the slaw and fish could have been more flavorful. Salad was ok, but a little too heavy on the mustard flavor for my taste. I love fish tacos, and several other online recipes I've tried were better than this. Best thing about it is that it was fast and easy to make and pretty healthy.0 Helpful
Solid. Breaded fish very tasty!0 Helpful