California-Style Fish Tacos
with avocado / lime slaw / spinach salad
California-Style Fish Tacos:
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Sriracha - 3 tsp (sub any hot sauce)
- Lime juice - 2 tsp + 2 tsp
- Coleslaw mix - 5 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Tilapia - 1 lb , 2” / 5 cm thick pieces
- Avocados - 1 , sliced
- Foil - for baking
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Panko breadcrumbs - 2/3 cup
- Limes - 1/2 , wedges
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 8
Spinach Salad with Tomatoes and Pepitas:
- Tomatoes, medium - 1 , chopped
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Spinach, baby - 5 oz
- Pepitas / pumpkin seeds - 1/4 cup
- Make Sriracha yogurt sauce - If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep. Whisk together yogurt, Sriracha, and first part of lime juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Dress slaw - Combine coleslaw mix with second part of lime juice, oil (portion for tacos), and sugar. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Fish - Rinse and pat dry. Slice into 2” / 5 cm strips.
- Tomatoes / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- Line a sheet pan with foil and brush with some oil. Spread fish out in a single layer.
- Melt butter and combine with salt, garlic powder, and panko. Gently press panko crust onto fish strips.
- Bake fish until cooked through, 9 to 11 minutes.
- While fish is baking, in a large mixing bowl whisk together mustard, vinegar, and paprika. Add oil (portion for salad) while whisking. Top vinaigrette with tomatoes, spinach, and pepitas. Wait to toss until right before serving.
- Slice limes into wedges and chop cilantro.
- Warm tortillas according to package instructions.
- Taste slaw and season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Fill tortillas with slaw, fish, and avocados. Top with Sriracha yogurt sauce and cilantro and serve with lime wedges. Enjoy with salad on the side.