Korean BBQ Platter
with portobello mushrooms / cucumbers / kimchi / rice
Smarts: Gochujang is a Korean hot sauce that is less spicy and has much more flavor depth than other hot sauces. It's worth tracking it down if you can!
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger - 1 tsp, grated
- Mushrooms, portobello - 4, sliced
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/3 cup
- Brown sugar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Cucumbers - 10 oz, cubed
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 2/3 cup
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart, shredded (sub iceberg)
- Carrots - 6 oz, shredded (look for pre-shredded)
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp + 2 tsp
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp
- Gochujang - 4 Tbsp (Korean hot sauce)
- Sesame seeds, black or white - 1/2 tsp
- Kimchi - 1/2 cup (check to be sure the brand you purchase is vegetarian; some contain fish)
- Marinate mushrooms - Chop garlic and grate ginger. Remove stems and thinly slice mushrooms. Combine garlic, ginger, soy sauce, brown sugar, and toasted sesame oil (portion for mushrooms) in a bowl. Add mushrooms and marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Rice - (Skip if rice was made ahead for Wednesday.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pickle cucumbers - Cube cucumbers. Toss with vinegar and sugar (portions for cucumbers). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Carrots / Green onions - Prep as directed. Combine lettuce and carrots. Combine green and white parts of green onions. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Avocados - Cube avocados.
- In a large bowl, whisk together toasted sesame oil, first portion of vinegar, and sugar (portions for BBQ platter). Add lettuce, carrots, and avocados. Wait to toss until right before serving.
- In a small bowl, whisk together gochujang and second part of vinegar (portion for BBQ platter).
- Heat a wok over medium-high. Add mushrooms and marinade and cook until mushrooms are tender and marinade is bubbling, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain liquid off cucumbers and season with some salt.
- Reheat rice if made ahead.
- Toss salad in vinaigrette and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Set out salad, rice, mushrooms, gochujang, pickled cucumbers, kimchi, and green onions. Let everyone assemble their Korean BBQ bowl at the table. (The crisp, cool salad is great mixed together in the bowls with the warm ingredients but feel free to enjoy it on the side if you prefer.) Enjoy!
Excellent vegetarian option with the mushrooms. I would get even more mushrooms - maybe 6 - because they cook down and really added a lot of flavor.0 Helpful
I like all the components but I wanted more from dish. Maybe because I'm used to banchan with Korean meals? Ended up making some Gamja Jorim for a side. Also, I made the Paleo version and probably should have just indulged in the original - missed the gochujang.0 Helpful
This was wonderful!! We have a cold in our house, and this was just what the doctor ordered. It was super easy to pull together with pre-sliced beef, pre-shredded carrots, pre-washed lettuce, and a rice cooker. It was delicious!0 Helpful
Very tasty! But next time I would skip out on the pickled cucumber because it’s an additional prep step made redundant by the kimchi (more pickled vegetables). I’ll also try cooking the beef with less of the marinade in the pan next time so I get more of a sear.0 Helpful
This was a huge hit in our house! Wow, that Gochujang sauce is tasty. We made the recipe exactly as is and it helped having most of it prepped ahead of time. What a tasty combination of flavors and the mushrooms were so wonderfully marinated. We'll definitely be making this one again and again.0 Helpful