Thai Steak Salad with mango / pickled onions / peanuts
The balance of sweet, sour, savory, and spice in this Thai-inspired salad can be found in both the ingredients of the salad and the dressing.
Smarts: Like many salad dressings used throughout Southeast Asia, this one is much thinner than dressings used in Western cooking. It's typical for the dressing to pool a bit in the bottom of the serving bowl - just toss everything together gently as you eat to get more of the flavor.
- Bell peppers, red - 1, thinly sliced
- Onions, medium and red - 1/2, thinly sliced
- Vinegar, rice - 1/2 cup
- Water - 3/4 cup
- Sugar - 2 tsp
- Steak, sirloin - 1 lb, thinly sliced (sub any cut of steak)
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts, chopped
- Cilantro leaves - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Mangos - 1, cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Red curry paste - 2 tsp
- Peanuts, roasted and unsalted - 1/2 cup
- Ginger - 1 tsp, grated
- Soy sauce - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 2 tsp
- Fish sauce - 1 tsp (sub soy sauce)
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Bell peppers / Onions - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pickle onions - Combine vinegar, water, sugar, and sliced onions. (The onions should be mostly covered with liquid, so add some more water if needed. You’ll drain it off before using onions in the salad.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make dressing - Grate ginger. Combine with soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, fish sauce, and toasted sesame oil. Taste and adjust flavor to your liking. Add more lime juice if you’d like it tarter or sugar if you’d like it sweeter. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Steak - Thinly slice steak against the grain. Tenderize and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lettuce / Cilantro / Mangos - Prep as directed. Store separately.
- Drain vinegar off onions. The pickled onions will be sour, so if you’d like them to have a milder flavor, rinse them with cool water.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then curry paste to heated oil. Cook curry paste for 30 seconds (it will start to release flavor). Add steak and saute just until steak is tender and cooked to your liking, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Season steak with some salt and pepper.
- Toss lettuce with bell peppers, onions, cilantro, and mangos. Add half the dressing and toss to combine.
- Top salads with steak and peanuts. Add more dressing if you’d like. Enjoy!
This meal has 27 reviews
Super good. I made both the beef (for my husband) and the tofu (for myself). The dressing is particularly tasty, and we loved the mangos in the salad.
Really enjoyed this even though just realizing now that we forgot to add the pickled onions! Prepped everything ahead of time so love how quickly it came together, especially on a warm summer night!
Hubs, who hates salads, actually said this was pretty good! Loved the dressing and the flavor on the steak (used real thai curry paste - got the cans from amazon and froze them in teaspoon sized increments). Used pineapple instead of mango (no mango @ the store).
Perfect as is!
We used green curry paste. This was one of the best salads .I have eaten! It was so quick, easy, and delicious!
I'm always pleasantly surprised by CS salads! This one was very forgiving-- I realized while cooking that I had run out of ginger and limes (makes a ginger lime dressing kind of hard!) so I subbed in ground ginger and lemon juice and it still worked. I cooked the steak A LOT less than the instructions (and I don't like rare meat). I cooked it for a minute and it seemed done so I turned off the heat and left it in the pan for another 2 minutes and it was perfect! Also used more curry than suggested per other reviewers.