Panko-Crusted Fish Sandwiches
with kale chips
- Kale, curly leaf - 1 bunch , leaves torn off of stems
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Mayonnaise - 1/2 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Capers - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Tilapia - 4 fillets (Or use other white fish like cod. If you don't eat seafood, try this with chicken thighs)
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart , leaves removed and torn
- Eggs - 1
- Panko breadcrumbs, gluten-free - 3/4 cup (sub any gluten-free breadcrumbs)
- Cajun seasoning - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 3 Tbsp
- Burger buns, gluten-free - 4
- Lemons - 1/2 , juice of
- Homemade tartar sauce - 1/2 cup (ingredients listed separately)
Fish - Rinse and dry with a paper towel. Slice into pieces that would fit nicely into a burger bun. Season with some salt and pepper.
Kale - Peel off leaves and discard stems. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Lettuce - Tear leaves into pieces that will fit inside the burger buns. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Prep breading stations - 1) In one bowl or container with lid, lightly whisk egg with a splash of water; 2) In a second bowl or container with lid, mix together gluten-free panko / breadcrumbs, Cajun seasoning, some salt and pepper, and first part of cooking oil.
Make tartar sauce - Mix together mayo, chopped capers, and lemon juice. Salt to taste.
Preheat oven to 300F / 149C degrees.
Spread kale leaves onto a sheet pan. Use two pans if they’re too packed on one. Toss with olive oil and then bake for 8 to 12 minutes until leaves are crispy. If they start to brown too much at the edges, they’re definitely done! Sprinkle with some salt right out of the oven.
While kale chips are baking, dip fish into egg and then gluten-free panko or breadcrumbs. If you’re using containers with lids, you can just dump all the fish into each container, close lid, and shake (this is that fancy ‘shake and bake’ method). Continue until all fish pieces are breaded.
Warm up buns in the oven. Drizzle some lemon juice on fish and assemble sandwiches with fish, tartar sauce, and lettuce. Enjoy with kale chips!