with tomatoes, peppers, and olives over quinoa
This Mediterranean-inspired sauce imparts flavor into any type of fish. Cooking the fish right in the vegetables ensures tender, flaky fish. Vegetarians will be making lentils with the same ingredients. Remember to soak your dried lentils the night before to reduce cooking time!
- White fish fillets (4 to 6 oz) - 4 ((Cod, halibut, tilapia, ono would all work. I used ono because that's what was in my freezer already))
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Onion - 1, chopped
- Red peppers - 2, chopped
- Kalamata olives - 4 oz, sliced ((olives soaked in water or fresh from the deli will be less salty))
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Ghee - 1 Tbsp
- Diced tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can ((sub 4 fresh roma tomatoes chopped))
- Maple syrup - 1/2 tsp
- Extra virgin olive oil - 2 Tbsp
- Lemons - 1/2, wedges
- Cauliflower - 1 head, pulsed in a food processor
- Ghee - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken stock - 1 1/2 cups
- Fish - Rinse and dry fish. Salt & pepper.
- Garlic / Onions / Red Peppers / Olives - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cauliflower rice - Chop cauliflower and then food process until it's in rice-sized pieces. Heat a saute pan over medium high heat. Add ghee and then cauliflower bits with some salt. Saute for ~1 minute and then add stock. Cook, stirring until absorbed, ~5 minutes. Season to taste with salt & pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat a non-stick skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbs. (15 ml) cooking oil with 1 tbs. (15 ml) ghee. Once melted and heated, add fish fillets, and then give your pan a shake. Let the fillets settle and get a golden sear, ~2 minutes, before flipping. Sear on the other side for ~2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add another tbs. of cooking oil to the pan and then the garlic. Once you can smell the garlic, add the onions with a dash of salt. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Next add in tomatoes, red peppers, and maple syrup with another dash of salt. Cook for another 5 minutes. Season vegetables to taste with salt, pepper, or a sweetener.
- Add in olives and nestle fish back into the sauce. Cook until fish is done, ~3 minutes per half inch of fish. Season vegetables to taste with salt, pepper, or a sweetener.
- Serve fish on top of vegetables. Drizzle fish fillets with extra-virgin olive oil and serve with lemon wedges side of cauliflower quinoa.
I enjoyed this, other than the quinoa.0 Helpful
Need to top with feta cheese next time.0 Helpful
Used Mahi Mahi for the fish - Fozen from Trader Joe's. Delish.0 Helpful
Needed more flavor0 Helpful
We liked this a lot, but aren't rushing to make it again.0 Helpful
We didn't like this at all, unfortunately :(0 Helpful