Mediterranean Fishwith tomatoes, peppers, and olives over quinoa
This Mediterranean-inspired sauce imparts flavor into any type of fish. Cooking the fish right in the vegetables ensures tender, flaky fish. Vegetarians will be making lentils with the same ingredients. Remember to soak your dried lentils the night before to reduce cooking time!
- French or green lentils - 1 cup, dried
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Onion - 1, diced
- Red peppers - 2, chopped
- Kalamata olives - 4 oz, sliced ((olives soaked in water or fresh from the deli will be less salty))
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Diced tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can ((sub 4 fresh roma tomatoes chopped))
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Vegetable broth - 2 to 4 cups
- Quinoa - 1 1/2 cups, uncooked
- Lentils - Soak lentils ideally the night before. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Onions / Red Peppers / Olives - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Quinoa - Combine quinoa with water (or stock) using a 2:1 water to dried quinoa ratio. Add in a generous dash of salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat a non-stick skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 tbs. (30 ml) cooking oil and then garlic to heated oil. Once you can smell the garlic, add the onions with a dash of salt. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Next add in lentils, broth (use 2 cups (472 ml) if you soaked overnight, 4 cups (940 ml) if you didn't), and bay leaf with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then simmer until lentils have absorbed all the stock and are almost cooked through, ~10 minutes (2 to 3x longer if you didn't soak them). If lentils have absorbed all the stock but are still far from being cooked and tender, just add a bit more stock or water.
- Next add in tomatoes, red peppers, and sugar with another dash of salt. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add in olives. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and sweetener. Enjoy with quinoa.
This meal has 13 reviews
By the middle of my plate of food, I was wanting something crunchy. Delicious meal.