with tomatoes, peppers, and olives over quinoa
This Mediterranean-inspired sauce imparts flavor into any type of fish. Cooking the fish right in the vegetables ensures tender, flaky fish. Vegetarians will be making lentils with the same ingredients. Remember to soak your dried lentils the night before to reduce cooking time!
Fish with Tomatoes, Peppers, and Olives:
- White fish fillets (4 to 6 oz) - 4 ((Cod, halibut, tilapia, ono would all work. I used ono because that's what was in my freezer already))
- Garlic - 3 cloves , minced
- Onion - 1 , chopped
- Red peppers - 2 , chopped
- Kalamata olives - 4 oz , sliced ((olives soaked in water or fresh from the deli will be less salty))
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Diced tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can ((sub 4 fresh roma tomatoes chopped))
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Extra virgin olive oil - 2 Tbsp
- Lemons - 1/2 , wedges
Quinoa (1 1/2 cups):
- Quinoa - 1 1/2 cups , uncooked
- Fish - Rinse and dry fish. Salt & pepper.
- Garlic / Onions / Red Peppers / Olives - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Quinoa - Combine quinoa with water (or stock) using a 2:1 water to dried quinoa ratio. Add in a generous dash of salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a non-stick skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbs. (15 ml) cooking oil with 1 tbs. (14.8ml) butter. Once melted and heated, add fish fillets, and then give your pan a shake. Let the fillets settle and get a golden sear, ~2 minutes, before flipping. Sear on the other side for ~2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add another tbs. of cooking oil to the pan and then the garlic. Once you can smell the garlic, add the onions with a dash of salt. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Next add in tomatoes, red peppers, and sugar with another dash of salt. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add in olives and nestle fish back into the sauce. Cook until fish is done, ~3 minutes per half inch of fish. Season vegetables to taste with salt, pepper, or a sweetener.
- Serve fish on top of vegetables. Drizzle fish fillets with extra-virgin olive oil and serve with lemon wedges and quinoa.