Indonesian Fried Rice
with peanuts / green beans / fried egg
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 3/4 cup
- Green beans - 1 lb, chopped into 1” / 2.5 cm pieces
- Bell peppers, red - 1, diced
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, diced
- Ginger - 1 Tbsp, grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Peanuts, roasted and unsalted - 1/4 cup
- Hot sauce of choice (opt) - for serving
- Rice - (Double if making Wednesday’s meal.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green beans / Bell peppers / Jalapenos / Ginger / Garlic - Prep as directed. Combine green beans and bell peppers in one container. Store jalapenos, ginger, and garlic in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Combine jalapenos, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, toasted sesame oil, and honey. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then green beans and bell peppers to heated oil. Saute until beans start to darken and char in spots. Add stir-fry sauce to the pan and cover with a lid or foil. Steam beans and peppers, covered, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove cover and stir in rice (reserve half if doubled for Wednesday). Toss everything together and cook for 1 minute more.
- Remove rice from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Heat a nonstick pan with second part of cooking oil over medium heat. Crack eggs into heated oil. Cook eggs on one side for sunny-side up or flip and cook on both sides.
- Stir lime juice and peanuts into fried rice.
- Serve eggs over fried rice with some hot sauce on top if you’d like. Enjoy!
4 year old asked if we could make it again sometime, 2 year old had thirds. Fantastic.0 Helpful
Seriously the most delicious recipe I have made with cooksmarts!0 Helpful
I made this as directed (including the peanut sauce, even though I forgot to put it on at the end) and it was so good! I can only imagine how good it would have been with the peanut sauce!0 Helpful
Used the original peanut sauce with cauliflower rice. Tasty, filling.0 Helpful
Lovely! That peanut sauce was the real star!0 Helpful
the peanut sauce was excellent. served with rice noodles. would probably use rice next time.0 Helpful