Beef Kebab Grain Bowls
with barley / cucumbers / chimichurri sauce
Smarts: If you're short on time, skip the step to thread the beef and vegetables on the kebabs. Just saute everything on the stovetop.
- Cilantro - 1/3 cup, chopped
- Parsley - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Shallots - 1 clove, chopped
- Capers - 1 Tbsp, drained and rinsed
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1/3 cup
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce - 1 Tbsp
- Oregano - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Skewers, wooden or metal - 8
- Steak, sirloin - 1 lb, cubed (sub any variety of steak)
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, cubed
- Barley, hulled and uncooked - 2/3 cup
- Cucumbers - 12 oz, diced
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Chimichurri sauce (ingredients listed separately) - ~1/3 cup
- Beef Kebabs (ingredients listed separately) - 8
- Barley - Double if making Thursday’s meal. Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt water generously and add barley. Cook for 45 to 55 minutes, until tender but not soggy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make marinade - Chop garlic (portion for kebabs). Combine garlic with oil (portion for kebabs), soy sauce, oregano, and mustard. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Soak skewers - If cooking on an outdoor grill with wooden skewers, soak skewers in water for 30 minutes before cooking. This will help prevent the skewers from burning; skip if cooking on stovetop.
- Beef - Slice beef into cubes. Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Marinate beef - Combine beef with marinade. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Bell peppers - Slice bell peppers into cubes (these are for the kebabs, so make them large enough to thread onto skewers). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make chimichurri sauce - Double if making Wednesday’s meal. If prepping right before cooking and using grill, get grill heating before continuing with prep. Combine cilantro, parsley, garlic (portion for chimichurri), shallots, capers, vinegar, lime juice, salt, and oil (portion for chimichurri) in a blender or a food processor. Add more oil if it’s too thick. Season to taste with salt or more lime juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cucumbers - Dice cucumbers. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Prepare kebabs - Thread skewers through beef and bell peppers. Discard marinade. (Note: If you're short on time, you can skip the skewers and just saute the beef and vegetables in a skillet.) (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- If making kebabs on a grill: Heat grill to 500F / 260C degrees.
- Season beef with some salt and pepper.
- Whisk together chimichurri (if doubled reserve half for Wednesday) and yogurt.
- If making kebabs on a grill: Brush heated grates with some cooking oil. Place kebabs on heated grates and grill for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and grill for another 2 to 3 minutes. Close grill and cook for another 2 to 4 minutes, until beef is cooked to your liking.
- If making kebabs on the stovetop: Heat a grill pan. Brush pan with some cooking oil. Place kebabs on heated pan and cook for 4 to 6 minutes, pressing down firmly with a spatula. Flip and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes, until beef is cooked to your liking. (Alternatively, saute beef and bell peppers without skewers in askillet.)
- Reheat barley (reserve half if doubled) in the microwave.
- Divide barley between bowls. Top bowls with beef and peppers (you can remove beef from kebabs first if you prefer), cucumbers, and yogurt-chimichurri sauce. Enjoy!
I really loved the sauce! Agree with other reviewers that more barley would have been good, though I'll probably just make rice next time since it cooks so much more quickly.0 Helpful
I really liked this. The chimichurri sauce is amazing and really made the meal.0 Helpful
I was surprised by how tasty this was. I made the original and vegetarian versions simultaneously. I liked having more veggies, even with the steak. The yogurt sauce definitely made this meal. Agree that amount of barley was skimpy for 4.0 Helpful
Used farro. Really filling and love that yogurt sauce.0 Helpful
Too much chimichurri in the salad, but loved all the flavors.0 Helpful
I always love chimichurri sauce. Roasted the chickpeas in the oven so they were a little crispy0 Helpful