Cobb Salad with Walnuts
with ranch dressing
We went classic with this Cobb Salad right down to a lighter ranch-inspired dressing. Walnuts add protein and crunch.
Smarts: Make a double batch of ranch dressing tonight and set aside half to use on Thursday.
- Eggs - 4
- Walnuts, halves or pieces - 1/2 cup
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup , halved
- Lettuce, romaine - 8 oz , chopped (sub green leaf or iceberg)
- Avocados - 1 , cubed
- Cheese, blue or gorgonzola - 4 oz , crumbled (sub shredded cheddar or any other preferred cheese)
- Carrots - 5 oz , shredded (look for pre-shredded)
- Cilantro leaves - 1 Tbsp , finely chopped
- Chives (opt) - 1 Tbsp , finely chopped
- Mayonnaise - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, white wine - 1 tsp
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Dill, dried (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
Boil eggs - Cover eggs with cold water and some salt. Bring to a boil and then turn off heat. Let eggs sit in hot water for 11 minutes and then run in cold water for easier peeling. Roll egg against a hard, flat surface to break up shell and then peel. If making ahead of time, peel right before serving. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Walnuts - If you’d like the walnuts toasted, put them in a skillet over medium heat. Heat, stirring constantly, until toasted and fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make ranch dressing - Double if making Thursday’s meal. Finely chop cilantro and chives. Combine cilantro, chives, mayonnaise, vinegar, sour cream, dried dill, and garlic powder. Add a splash of water or milk if the dressing is too thick. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
Tomatoes / Lettuce - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Peel and chop eggs. Chop avocados. Crumble cheese.
Form a bed of lettuce and layer all other ingredients on top - walnuts, eggs, avocado, cheese, carrots, and tomatoes. Let everyone dress their own salad (reserve half the dressing if doubled for Thursday). Enjoy!