with rice / bell peppers / guacamole
Sofritas have become a trendy vegetarian burrito filling thanks to their addition to Chipotle's menu. This is our copycat version combined with other favorite burrito fillings.
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz , finely chopped (vacuum packed preferable)
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 3/4 cup
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , diced
- Onions, medium - 1 , diced
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Corn kernels, frozen or canned - 1 cup
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Tortillas, burrito-sized flour - 4
- Shallots - 1 clove , diced
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Avocados - 1
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then finely chop into small pieces. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Rice - Double if making Wednesday’s meal. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Onions / Shallots - Prep as directed. Combine bell peppers and onions. Store shallots separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine cumin, chili powder, ground coriander, and oregano. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Corn - If using frozen, defrost. If using canned, drain and rinse.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Make guacamole - Chop cilantro. Mash together shallots, cilantro, avocados, and lime juice. Season to taste with some salt. Add some hot sauce if you’d like it spicy.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a large skillet for sofritas over medium heat. Add first part of oil and then corn and beans. Saute until corn is lightly charred in places, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt. Set aside and return pan to heat.
- Add second part of oil and then bell peppers and onions. Saute until onions are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add tofu and spice mix and saute for 2 minutes more.
- Stir in tomato paste and stock. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and season with some salt and pepper.
- Warm tortillas and rice (reserve half the rice if doubled).
- Set out tortillas, rice, corn / black beans, sofritas, and guacamole so that everyone can assemble their burritos the way they prefer. Enjoy!