Farmer’s Market Skillet
with poached eggs
This versatile skillet meal is packed with vegetables - feel free to mix and match with any vegetables you have on hand. To reduce the cooking time required to make a traditional potato hash, pre-cook the sweet potatoes in the microwave. A version of this meal was first featured in 2016.
Farmer’s Market Skillet:
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/2 lb , cubed
- Green beans - 1 lb , chopped
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , chopped
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , chopped
- Tomatoes, medium - 1 , chopped
- Eggs - 8
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Sweet potatoes / Green beans / Bell peppers / Onions - Prep as directed. Store sweet potatoes in one container. Combine green beans, bell peppers, and onions in a separate container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pre-cook potatoes - Place sweet potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with wet paper towel and microwave on high until tender, ~5 minutes. (You can also boil the potatoes in a stockpot of water until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.) (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Chop tomatoes. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Eggs - Crack each egg into a small ramekin or teacup. (Don’t skip this step as it will help you to transfer all the eggs to hot water quickly so they cook evenly.)
- Fill a large saute pan with water for the eggs. Add apple cider vinegar and some salt. Heat over high heat until it begins to boil.
- While water comes to a boil, heat a large skillet with oil over medium-high heat. Add green beans, peppers, and onions with a pinch of salt and saute until starting to turn tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add pre-cooked potatoes, paprika, and Italian seasoning to pan. Stir to combine all ingredients and let cook, without stirring, until ingredients start to brown on the bottom of the pan.
- When water for the eggs is boiling, reduce heat to a low simmer (a few small bubbles rising from the bottom). Gently pour each egg into the simmering water, so that none of them are touching. Simmer eggs to your desired degree of doneness (for cooked whites and soft yolks, this should take 4 to 5 minutes; gently press the center of the eggs with the back of a spoon to check for doneness).
- Return to hash and give everything a stir. Squeeze lemon juice over top and season with some salt and pepper.
- Divide hash between serving bowls. Top with poached eggs and some chopped tomatoes. Enjoy!