Pineapple and Cashew Curried Fried Ricewith ground chicken or tofu
This Thai fried rice has a lot going on, and it's all delicious. Pineapples add sweetness, cashews add crunch, and curry paste and cococonut milk add a ton of fragrance. Carnivores will have it with ground chicken and vegetarians will have it with tofu.
- Ground chicken - 1 lb
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped with white and green parts separated
- Carrots - 1, peeled and grated
- Pineapple, fresh or canned - 1 1/2 cups, chopped
- Yellow curry paste - 1 Tbsp ((sub red curry paste))
- Fish sauce - 1 Tbsp ((sub soy sauce))
- Brown sugar - 1/2 Tbsp
- Coconut milk - 2/3 cup
- Leftover rice - 3 to 4 cups
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Eggs - 2
- Cashews - 1/2 cup
- Lime - 1/2, juice of
- Ground chicken - Season with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Green Onions / Carrots / Pineapple - Prep as directed. For the carrots, if you're too lazy to whip out the food processor, use a box grater instead. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Sauce - If you didn't do it on Monday already, whisk together yellow curry paste, fish sauce, brown sugar, and coconut milk. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Rice - Mix leftover rice with about 1 tbs. (15 ml) of cooking oil. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbs. (14.8ml) cooking oil and then ground chicken to heated oil. Pour in half the sauce, and break up meat with a wooden spoon. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes until meat is cooked through. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Return wok to heat and add remaining tbs. of cooking oil to pan. Add in garlic and white parts of green onion to heated oil. Once you can smell the aromatics, crack eggs into wok and scramble. When eggs are done, add in carrots with a dash of salt. Stir-fry for ~1 minute. Next add in leftover rice, pineapple, and remainder of sauce. Toss everything together, and cook until rice is warmed through. Add in green parts of green onions, cashews, ground meat, and a squeeze of lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
This meal has 19 reviews
Delightful! I made the vegetarian version, subbed quinoa cooked in broth for the rice, also had to sub red curry paste for yellow. Otherwise made as instructed, pretty easy to make and very satisfying. Plenty for leftovers. Kids loved it, too.
Gone in no time!
I used ground pork instead of chicken, which worked well. Probably a top 3 Cooksmarts recipe for my 5 year old, he LOVED it. Good reviews all around but I would probably try to add one more vegetable next time to round it out a little bit health wise.
Made this part of my husband's birthday dinner. So delicious and plenty of leftovers.
Used ground turkey instead of chicken and red curry instead of yellow -- both were good. The ingredient proportions seemed a bit off, but this dish had SO much potential that I will try again. Next time, I will use less meat (I think .5 or .75 lb would be sufficient), more pineapple, more cashews, and I won't overcook the rice!
One of those dishes we raved about while eating. Can't wait to make it again!