Skirt Steak with Cilantro Garlic Sauceand spinach tomato salad
- Cilantro leaves - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Jalapenos - 1, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Steak, skirt - 1 lb (sub flank or hanger)
- Cilanto Garlic Sauce - ~1/3 cup (ingredients listed separately)
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup, halved
- Spinach, baby - 5 oz
- Pepitas / pumpkin seeds - 1/4 cup
- Cilantro Garlic Sauce - ~1/3 cup (ingredients listed separately)
- Make cilantro garlic sauce - Roughly chop cilantro, garlic, and jalapenos. Combine with oil, vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, and salt. Use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate steak - Tenderize steak with a fork and combine with cilantro garlic sauce (portion for steak). Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Tomatoes - Slice tomatoes in half. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Remove steak from marinade (discard marinade) and season generously on both sides with some salt and pepper.
- If cooking on a grill: Heat up grill to 500F / 260C. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Add steak to heated grill. Grill steak for ~3 minutes on each side with the cover closed. Continue cooking until it reaches desired level of doneness. Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~6 minutes); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~10 minutes).
- If cooking on the stovetop: Heat up a grill pan over high heat. Brush with some oil, and add steak. Sear steak on both sides. Continue cooking until it reaches desired level of doneness. Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~6 minutes); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~10 minutes).
- Remove steak from heat, cover in foil to keep warm and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing across the grain (i.e. perpendicular to the fibers).
- While steak rests, toss together tomatoes, spinach, and pepitas. Toss with cilantro garlic sauce (portion for salad).
- Serve sliced steak with salad on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 41 reviews
i've made this several times now- instead of rice use cous cous and add some pine nuts add avocado and sometimes some feta cheese- delicious
I love steak, but the rice salad really stole the show for me on this one. Unexpected and yum!
One of my favorites
We used flank steak and our own marinade, but made the side dish. Didn't expect to like it much since I'm not a cilantro fan, but I thought it was delicious.
The sauce was so good! I didn't measure the sauce ingredients I just guessed and definitely went heavy on the miso and subbed shallot for the garlic. Served the rice salad on a bed of spinach and subbed salmon for the meat. Used the extra sauce as a dressing.
Made Paleo plus vegetarian stuffed peppers. Doubled sauce (except garlic and forgot miso paste!). Added spinach and kidney beans into rice. Served tomatoes on the side. Yummy, but too much work.