Skirt Steak with Cilantro Garlic Sauce
and rice salad
With summer just around the corner, we're bringing back this simple steak with cilantro garlic sauce. Community members particularly raved about the flavors in the herbal sauce. If it's warm enough to fire up the grill, this is a great meal for cooking outdoors.
- Cilantro leaves - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Miso paste, any color - 1 Tbsp (sub Tamari)
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Steak, skirt - 1 lb (sub flank or hanger)
- Cilanto Garlic Sauce - ~1/3 cup (ingredients listed separately)
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup, halved
- Spinach, baby - 3 oz, chopped
- Rice, cooked - ~1 1/2 cups (leftover from Monday)
- Cilantro Garlic Sauce - ~1/3 cup (ingredients listed separately)
- Make cilantro garlic sauce - Roughly chop cilantro and garlic. Combine with oil, vinegar, lemon juice, miso paste, and salt. Use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate steak - Tenderize steak with a fork and combine with cilantro garlic sauce (portion for steak). Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Tomatoes / Spinach - Prep as directed. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Remove steak from marinade (discard marinade) and season generously on both sides with some salt and pepper.
- If cooking on a grill: Heat up grill to 500F / 260C. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Add steak to heated grill. Grill steak for ~3 minutes on each side with the cover closed. Continue cooking until it reaches desired level of doneness. Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~6 minutes); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~10 minutes).
- If cooking on the stovetop: Heat up a grill pan over high heat. Brush with some oil, and add steak. Sear steak on both sides. Continue cooking until it reaches desired level of doneness. Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~6 minutes); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~10 minutes).
- Remove steak from heat, cover in foil to keep warm and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing across the grain (i.e. perpendicular to the fibers).
- While steak rests, combine tomatoes, spinach, and rice (the rice should be slightly chilled or room temperature). Stir in cilantro garlic sauce (portion for salad). Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve sliced steak with rice salad on the side. Enjoy!
i've made this several times now- instead of rice use cous cous and add some pine nuts add avocado and sometimes some feta cheese- delicious0 Helpful
I love steak, but the rice salad really stole the show for me on this one. Unexpected and yum!0 Helpful
One of my favorites0 Helpful
We used flank steak and our own marinade, but made the side dish. Didn't expect to like it much since I'm not a cilantro fan, but I thought it was delicious.0 Helpful
The sauce was so good! I didn't measure the sauce ingredients I just guessed and definitely went heavy on the miso and subbed shallot for the garlic. Served the rice salad on a bed of spinach and subbed salmon for the meat. Used the extra sauce as a dressing.0 Helpful
Made Paleo plus vegetarian stuffed peppers. Doubled sauce (except garlic and forgot miso paste!). Added spinach and kidney beans into rice. Served tomatoes on the side. Yummy, but too much work.0 Helpful