Skirt Steak with Cilantro Garlic Sauceand rice salad
With summer just around the corner, we're bringing back this simple steak with cilantro garlic sauce. Community members particularly raved about the flavors in the herbal sauce. If it's warm enough to fire up the grill, this is a great meal for cooking outdoors.
- Cilantro leaves - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Miso paste, any color - 1 Tbsp (sub soy sauce)
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Steak, skirt - 1 lb (sub flank or hanger)
- Cilanto Garlic Sauce - ~1/3 cup (ingredients listed separately)
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup, halved
- Spinach, baby - 3 oz, chopped
- Rice, cooked - ~1 1/2 cups (leftover from Monday)
- Cilantro Garlic Sauce - ~1/3 cup (ingredients listed separately)
- Make cilantro garlic sauce - Roughly chop cilantro and garlic. Combine with oil, vinegar, lemon juice, miso paste, and salt. Use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate steak - Tenderize steak with a fork and combine with cilantro garlic sauce (portion for steak). Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Tomatoes / Spinach - Prep as directed. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Remove steak from marinade (discard marinade) and season generously on both sides with some salt and pepper.
- If cooking on a grill: Heat up grill to 500F / 260C. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Add steak to heated grill. Grill steak for ~3 minutes on each side with the cover closed. Continue cooking until it reaches desired level of doneness. Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~6 minutes); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~10 minutes).
- If cooking on the stovetop: Heat up a grill pan over high heat. Brush with some oil, and add steak. Sear steak on both sides. Continue cooking until it reaches desired level of doneness. Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~6 minutes); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~10 minutes).
- Remove steak from heat, cover in foil to keep warm and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing across the grain (i.e. perpendicular to the fibers).
- While steak rests, combine tomatoes, spinach, and rice (the rice should be slightly chilled or room temperature). Stir in cilantro garlic sauce (portion for salad). Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve sliced steak with rice salad on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 41 reviews
I thought this was great - loved the flavors! Don't know how I like the raw garlic in the sauce as a salad dressing though. I might use garlic powder in the future or use the sauce on something else that is cooked.
This was totally amazing. Next time I would cut steak before marinating so it's easier to cook through in pan. The measurements were also off for the marinade. Receive called for 2/3 cup total but measurements only made 1/3 cup so I had to make the marinade twice.
So good! I doubled the sauce to make sure I had plenty for the marinade and the salad. I'm glad I did because the salad was amazing.
Veggie version was tasty! We really enjoyed the stuff peppers. The yogurt was very complementary. Added more sauce than in the recipe, which made it extra good. That didn't leave any left over for the salad, but we ended up making some tasty modifications there anyway.
Favorited because of the sauce. Doubled recipe- used 1tbsp miso paste and 1 tbsp soy sauce and left out the extra salt- it wasn't needed. Will make this cause again and put it on everything! (make steak with the veggetarian stuffed peppers on the side). Also- no cilantro.
This was so good that we’re making it again this week!