Skirt Steak with Cilantro Garlic Sauceand rice salad
With summer just around the corner, we're bringing back this simple steak with cilantro garlic sauce. Community members particularly raved about the flavors in the herbal sauce. If it's warm enough to fire up the grill, this is a great meal for cooking outdoors.
- Cilantro leaves - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Miso paste, any color - 1 Tbsp (sub soy sauce)
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Steak, skirt - 1 lb (sub flank or hanger)
- Cilanto Garlic Sauce - ~1/3 cup (ingredients listed separately)
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup, halved
- Spinach, baby - 3 oz, chopped
- Rice, cooked - ~1 1/2 cups (leftover from Monday)
- Cilantro Garlic Sauce - ~1/3 cup (ingredients listed separately)
- Make cilantro garlic sauce - Roughly chop cilantro and garlic. Combine with oil, vinegar, lemon juice, miso paste, and salt. Use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate steak - Tenderize steak with a fork and combine with cilantro garlic sauce (portion for steak). Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Tomatoes / Spinach - Prep as directed. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Remove steak from marinade (discard marinade) and season generously on both sides with some salt and pepper.
- If cooking on a grill: Heat up grill to 500F / 260C. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Add steak to heated grill. Grill steak for ~3 minutes on each side with the cover closed. Continue cooking until it reaches desired level of doneness. Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~6 minutes); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~10 minutes).
- If cooking on the stovetop: Heat up a grill pan over high heat. Brush with some oil, and add steak. Sear steak on both sides. Continue cooking until it reaches desired level of doneness. Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~6 minutes); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~10 minutes).
- Remove steak from heat, cover in foil to keep warm and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing across the grain (i.e. perpendicular to the fibers).
- While steak rests, combine tomatoes, spinach, and rice (the rice should be slightly chilled or room temperature). Stir in cilantro garlic sauce (portion for salad). Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve sliced steak with rice salad on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 41 reviews
We struggled to trim the skirt steak. Once that was done, the meal came together very quickly thanks to prepping in advance. The sauce only came out to about 1/2 cup so I made more, and then we ended up with extra, so we served with a little on top which was great!
Really good overall, and the leftovers made a great lunch! I would have liked a bit more sauce - not necessarily double, but I definitely didn't get the full 2/3 c called for from the recipe, so there wasn't a ton left for the rice salad after marinating the steak.
Easy and delicious.
Very good. Used parsley instead of cilantro. Loved the salad!
The marinade didn't wow me, even though I like all those ingredients. However, skirt steak is always delicious so we still enjoyed the meal. Probably wouldn't use that marinade again.