Tom Yum Tofu Ramenwith zucchini / mushrooms
This variation of the spicy Thai soup has a nontraditional twist with the addition of creamy coconut milk and ramen noodles for substance. While usually made with shrimp, we're using tofu as the protein in this vegetarian version.
Smarts: Traditional Tom Yum Soup is made with nam prik pao (Thai chili paste), but we’re using red curry paste since it’s a staple in our community members’ kitchens. If you can find nam prik pao at your local Asian just check the ingredients - many versions include shrimp.
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz, 1/2" / 1.3cm cubes (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Shallots - 2 cloves, chopped
- Lemongrass - 2 stalks, chopped (sub 1 tsp lemongrass paste / stalk)
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, thinly sliced
- Zucchini - 12 oz, cubed
- Noodles, ramen - 6 oz (sub any Asian noodles)
- Thai basil (opt) - 10 leaves, chiffonade
- Straw mushrooms, canned (14oz / 397g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed (sub fresh button mushrooms, sliced)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Curry paste, red - 1 Tbsp (sub vegetarian nam prik pao - Thai chili paste)
- Stock, any type - 3 1/2 cups
- Soy sauce - 2 tsp
- Coconut milk, light - 1 cup
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Tofu - Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3cm cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Shallots / Lemongrass / Jalapenos - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Cube zucchini. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Noodles - Cook according to package directions. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Thai basil - Chiffonade basil.
- Mushrooms (if using canned) - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a wok or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil and then shallots, lemongrass, jalapenos, and zucchini. (If using fresh mushrooms, add them as well.) Season with a pinch of salt and saute until fragrant, ~4 minutes.
- Add red curry paste and saute for 1 minute more.
- Add stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes to let the flavors develop.
- Add tofu, mushrooms (if using canned), and soy sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk and simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in lime juice. Taste and season with some salt.
- Divide noodles between serving bowls. Ladle soup over noodles. Top with basil and enjoy.
This meal has 45 reviews
I used brown rice noodles instead of Ramen and added more curry paste and a whole can of coconut milk (lite). I also substituted cilantro for basil. Turned out wonderful!
So good! We ended up leaving out the mushrooms due to a family preference, but we added sliced red peppers. Made per the recipe otherwise.
We enjoyed this soup and the flavors. I would leave the lemon grass whole next time because the bites with it were overwhelming with lemon flavor.
This was truly delicious. I was so surprised such a simple recepie has such complex flavors.
should have doubled the red curry paste or added something for a bit more kick, came together easily, used whole can of coconut milk, thin rice noodles, sliced fresh mushrooms
Looooved this!!!! Big hit.