Tom Yum Shrimp Soup
with zucchini noodles / mushrooms
Smarts: Traditional Tom Yum Soup is made with nam prik pao (Thai chili paste), but we’re using red curry paste since it’s a staple in our community members’ kitchens. If you can find nam prik pao at your local Asian market, it has a rich, smoky flavor that is great in this soup (and many other Thai dishes).
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Shallots - 2 cloves, chopped
- Lemongrass - 2 stalks, chopped (sub 1 tsp lemongrass paste / stalk)
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, thinly sliced
- Thai basil (opt) - 10 leaves, chiffonade
- Straw mushrooms, canned (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed (sub fresh button mushrooms, sliced)
- Zucchini - 12 oz, spiralized or cubed
- Stock, any type - 3 1/2 cups
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Coconut milk, light - 1 cup
- Red curry paste - 1 Tbsp (sub nam prik pao - Thai chili paste)
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Fish sauce - 2 tsp
- Heat a wok with first part of oil over medium heat. Add zucchini noodles and saute just until they are tender but still have some crunch, ~2 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt. Divide noodles between serving bowls and return wok to heat.
- Add second part of oil and then shallots, lemongrass, and jalapenos. (If using fresh mushrooms, add them as well.) Season with a pinch of salt and saute until fragrant, ~3 minutes.
- Add red curry paste and saute for 1 minute more.
- Add stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes to let the flavors develop.
- Add shrimp, mushrooms (if using canned), and fish sauce and simmer until shrimp is opaque and cooked through, ~5 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in lime juice. Taste and season with some salt.
- Stir in coconut milk and simmer for 1 minute.
- Ladle soup over zucchini noodles. Top with basil and enjoy.
I cut the stock down by almost half because we like a greater protein and veg to liquid ratio. Flavor was good. Cooked for much less time since some said the zucchini got mushy. Turned out great.0 Helpful
Really awesome flavor! We really loved the broth. Diced the lemongrass very very small after reading others' reviews. Zucchini got too mushy, but the fresh button mushrooms were perfect and made the dish stellar in our opinion.0 Helpful
We added more curry paste and omitted the pepper. Good spice level.0 Helpful
Once the veggies are chopped, the meal comes together quickly. Almost any veggie would work, I added carrots. Broth was mild for kiddos, but it was easy to up the heat for the adult portions.0 Helpful
This was amazing. Curry and coconut are not in my normal flavors, but this meal will be on my favorites list.0 Helpful
So amazingly good!!! Wouldn’t change a thing.0 Helpful