Tom Yum Shrimp Ramenwith zucchini / mushrooms
This variation of the spicy shrimp Thai soup has a nontraditional twist with the addition of creamy coconut milk and ramen noodles for substance.
Smarts: Traditional Tom Yum Soup is made with nam prik pao (Thai chili paste), but we’re using red curry paste since it’s a staple in our community members’ kitchens. If you can find nam prik pao at your local Asian market, it has a rich, smoky flavor that is great in this soup (and many other Thai dishes).
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Shallots - 2 cloves, chopped
- Lemongrass - 2 stalks, chopped (sub 1 tsp lemongrass paste / stalk)
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, thinly sliced
- Zucchini - 12 oz, cubed
- Noodles, ramen - 6 oz (sub any Asian noodles)
- Thai basil (opt) - 10 leaves, chiffonade
- Straw mushrooms, canned (14oz / 397g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed (sub fresh button mushrooms, sliced)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 3 1/2 cups
- Coconut milk, light - 1 cup
- Red curry paste - 1 Tbsp (sub nam prik pao - Thai chili paste)
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Fish sauce - 2 tsp
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and pat dry.
- Shallots / Lemongrass / Jalapenos - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Cube zucchini. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Noodles - Cook according to package directions. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Thai basil - Chiffonade basil.
- Mushrooms (if using canned) - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a wok or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil and then shallots, lemongrass, jalapenos, and zucchini. (If using fresh mushrooms, add them as well.) Season with a pinch of salt and saute until fragrant, ~4 minutes.
- Add red curry paste and saute for 1 minute more.
- Add stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes to let the flavors develop.
- Add shrimp, mushrooms (if using canned), and fish sauce and simmer until shrimp is opaque and cooked through, ~5 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk and simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in lime juice. Taste and season with some salt.
- Divide noodles between serving bowls. Ladle soup over noodles. Top with basil and enjoy.
This meal has 45 reviews
We didn’t enjoy this meal. It was not flavorful like other meals.
I think i need to double or even triple the red curry paste. It's tasty but a little bland.
Double or triple the red curry!
It was ok, but I feel like it was missing something.
I didn’t have the lemongrass, but it was still yummy!