Tom Yum Shrimp Ramenwith zucchini / mushrooms
This variation of the spicy shrimp Thai soup has a nontraditional twist with the addition of creamy coconut milk and ramen noodles for substance.
Smarts: Traditional Tom Yum Soup is made with nam prik pao (Thai chili paste), but we’re using red curry paste since it’s a staple in our community members’ kitchens. If you can find nam prik pao at your local Asian market, it has a rich, smoky flavor that is great in this soup (and many other Thai dishes).
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Shallots - 2 cloves, chopped
- Lemongrass - 2 stalks, chopped (sub 1 tsp lemongrass paste / stalk)
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, thinly sliced
- Zucchini - 12 oz, cubed
- Noodles, ramen - 6 oz (sub any Asian noodles)
- Thai basil (opt) - 10 leaves, chiffonade
- Straw mushrooms, canned (14oz / 397g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed (sub fresh button mushrooms, sliced)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 3 1/2 cups
- Coconut milk, light - 1 cup
- Red curry paste - 1 Tbsp (sub nam prik pao - Thai chili paste)
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Fish sauce - 2 tsp
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and pat dry.
- Shallots / Lemongrass / Jalapenos - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Cube zucchini. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Noodles - Cook according to package directions. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Thai basil - Chiffonade basil.
- Mushrooms (if using canned) - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a wok or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil and then shallots, lemongrass, jalapenos, and zucchini. (If using fresh mushrooms, add them as well.) Season with a pinch of salt and saute until fragrant, ~4 minutes.
- Add red curry paste and saute for 1 minute more.
- Add stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes to let the flavors develop.
- Add shrimp, mushrooms (if using canned), and fish sauce and simmer until shrimp is opaque and cooked through, ~5 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk and simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in lime juice. Taste and season with some salt.
- Divide noodles between serving bowls. Ladle soup over noodles. Top with basil and enjoy.
This meal has 45 reviews
Sooooo good! Used green curry sauce because the store was out of red. I used the entire can of coconut milk and about 2 cups of stock based on other comments. Udon noodles because that's what was in the pantry. Topped with curry roasted tofu intead of shrimp and left over cilantro. Needs the jalapeno.
This was way too spicy for me, and I like spice. Not sure if it was the jalapeno I used or what, but next time will half the pepper and definitely remove the seeds.
We loved this, but added some garlic chili sauce to our individual bowls to suit our tastes.
More ramen than tom yum, with a much more subtle flavor. Not my thing, and made me crave actual tom yum from the Thai place near my house.
I loved this....the spice was great!! I got the portions of shallots and lemon grass wrong so I bet it would be even better if I did that right.
Good and easy if okay with lots of pasta meal. Used whole can of coconut milk.