Honey Adobo Chopped Chicken Salad
with avocado / queso fresco / black beans
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Adobo sauce - 2 tsp (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo)
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , chopped
- Lettuce, romaine - 8 oz , chopped
- Cucumbers - 8 oz , diced
- Cilantro leaves - 1/4 cup , chopped
- Avocados - 1 , cubed
- Limes - 1/2 , wedges
- Corn kernels, frozen or canned - 1 cup
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, queso fresco - 4 oz , crumbled (sub Mexican Blend)
Make Adobo marinade - Whisk together vinegar, honey, adobo sauce, and paprika. Add oil (portion for marinade) while whisking. (Wait to add yogurt.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Marinate chicken - Chop chicken into bite-sized pieces and tenderize with a fork. Combine with half the Adobo marinade (reserve the other half). Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Corn - If using frozen, defrost. If using canned, drain and rinse.
Beans - Drain and rinse.
Whisk yogurt into remaining half of Adobo marinade.
Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add first portion of oil (for salad). Use a slotted spoon to remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and transfer to heated skillet. Saute until chicken is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper as it cooks.
Set chicken aside and add second portion of cooking oil (for salad) to heated skillet. Add corn and beans and saute until heated through, ~2 minutes.
Make salad by combining lettuce, cucumbers, cilantro, and avocados. Add dressing until dressed to your liking.
Top salad with chicken, corn / black beans, and cheese. Serve with lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!