Thai Stir-Fried Lentils and Green Beans
with Sriracha mayo / fried egg / rice
- Rice, brown or white (uncooked - enough for 2 meals) - 1 2/3 cups
- Shallots - 2 cloves, chopped
- Lemongrass - 2 stalks, chopped (sub 1 tsp lemongrass paste / stalk)
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed and chopped into 1” / 2.5cm pieces
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Lentils, cooked - 2 1/2 cups (vacuum-packed or canned and drained)
- Thai basil (opt) - 10 leaves, chiffonade
- Cilantro leaves - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Limes - 1/2, wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
- Mayonnaise - 1/4 cup
- Sriracha - 2 tsp (sub any hot sauce)
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Rice - This makes enough for 2 nights. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make Sriracha mayo - Whisk together mayonnaise, Sriracha, and lime juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shallots / Lemongrass / Green beans - Prep as directed. Combine shallots and lemongrass. Store green beans separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season lentils - Stir shallots, lemongrass, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes into lentils.
- Basil / Cilantro / Limes - Prep as directed.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add first part of oil and then green beans to heated oil. Saute until green beans are nearly tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add lentils and saute until warmed through and fragrant, ~3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in basil and cilantro. Squeeze one or two of the lime wedges over top (taste as you go to decide how much lime to use). Season with some salt. Transfer lentils to a serving plate and cover to keep warm.
- Wipe out pan and place over medium heat. Add second part of oil and then crack eggs into heated oil. Fry eggs to desired done-ness (cook on one side for sunny-side up or flip and cook on both sides). Season with some salt.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve lentils and rice with eggs on top. Drizzle Sriracha mayo over the entire dish. Enjoy!
This was really tasty and super fast and simple. More salt/ soy sauce and more sriracha were needed in my opinion. Loved the egg and the sriracha Mayo. Subbed turkey to cut some of the fat.0 Helpful
I thought this was pretty good - the pork needed a little extra seasoning, I think - maybe more soy sauce and spice. I used broccoli instead of green beans, so I ended up cooking it first then the pork since there wasn't space in the pan. The egg & sriracha mayo were good - definitely gave it that extra oomph.0 Helpful
My Vegetarian wife loved it, my carnivore daughter even liked it. Definitely will have this again... OFTEN!0 Helpful
A favorite!0 Helpful
Pretty easy to make, especially as I already had leftover rice. I forgot lemongrass, but it still tasted good without.0 Helpful
I said 4; hubby said 3. Scrambled the eggs in the pork and it made a really great sauce for the rice.0 Helpful