Thai Stir-Fried Pork and Green Beans
with Sriracha mayo / fried egg / rice
This meal is inspired by quick and easy Thai street food and got great reviews when we first shared it last year. Thanks to great feedback from our community, this version is even quicker to prepare (the green beans and pork are cooked together) and the dish has an added flavor component from spicy / creamy Sriracha mayo.
- Rice, brown or white (uncooked - enough for 2 meals) - 1 2/3 cups
- Shallots - 2 cloves, chopped
- Lemongrass - 2 stalks, chopped (sub 1 tsp lemongrass paste / stalk)
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed and chopped into 1” / 2.5cm pieces
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Pork, ground - 1 lb
- Thai basil (opt) - 10 leaves, chiffonade
- Cilantro leaves - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Limes - 1/2, wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
- Mayonnaise - 1/4 cup
- Sriracha - 2 tsp (sub any hot sauce)
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Rice - This makes enough for 2 nights. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make Sriracha mayo - Whisk together mayonnaise, Sriracha, and lime juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shallots / Lemongrass / Green beans - Prep as directed. Combine shallots and lemongrass. Store green beans separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season pork - Stir shallots, lemongrass, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes into pork.
- Basil / Cilantro / Limes - Prep as directed.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of oil and then green beans to heated oil. Saute until green beans are nearly tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add pork and saute until cooked through, ~6 minutes. Drain.
- While pork is cooking, heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add second part of oil and then crack eggs into heated oil. Fry eggs to desired done-ness (cook on one side for sunny-side up or flip and cook on both sides). Season with some salt.
- Return to pork and stir in basil and cilantro. Squeeze one or two of the lime wedges over top (taste as you go to decide how much lime juice to use). Season with some salt.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve pork and rice with eggs on top. Drizzle Sriracha mayo over the entire dish. Enjoy!
made without lemongrass as i couldn't find it at my local store. Want to make it again with it as I suspect it will just make it even better.0 Helpful
Even the kids devoured this....it's going in the favorites!0 Helpful
Pretty good!0 Helpful
big hit for us with added spices and used asparagus instead of beans. also fried up the rice with the meat/veggies which gave it some extra flavor. Will marinate the pork next time.0 Helpful
Surprisingly decent and satisfying. I might try adding a little ginger to the lentil mixture.0 Helpful
Subbed asparagus for the green beans and left off the egg. Delicious!0 Helpful