Italian Chopped Salad
with prosciutto / walnuts / sun-dried tomato vinaigrette
- Prosciutto - 2 oz, roughly chopped
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed and chopped into 1" / 2.5cm pieces
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Tomatoes, roma - 4, chopped
- Kalamata olives - 1/2 cup, sliced, drained and rinsed
- Walnuts, halves or pieces - 2 oz
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Salad greens - 6 oz
- Garlic - 1 clove
- Sun-dried tomatoes in oil - 2 Tbsp
- Basil, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp (use some of the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes if possible)
- Make vinaigrette - Double if making Thursday’s meal. Peel and crush garlic (portion for vinaigrette). Combine with sun-dried tomatoes, dried basil, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, honey, and olive oil. Blend until smooth with an immersion blender or standing blender. If the dressing is thick, blend in some water until smooth and pourable. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Prosciutto / Green beans / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Chop tomatoes.
- Olives - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add walnuts and toast, stirring frequently, until golden and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Place green beans in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a damp paper towel and cook in the microwave on high until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Toss green beans with Italian seasoning and some salt.
- Assemble salads by arranging a bed of salad greens. Top with walnuts, prosciutto, green beans, tomatoes, and olives. Top with dressing (reserve half if doubled). Enjoy!
I bought croutons instead of making them, but otherwise stuck to the recipe. Very tasty but not super filling.0 Helpful
No garlic in the vinegrette or roasted0 Helpful
Amazing! I did cook the proscecco because i dont like it raw. Had to leave out the green beans because they went bad! (note to self: i need to take into account my "out of town days" when meal prepping!0 Helpful
Needed more dressing0 Helpful
I almost didn't make this but decided to try it after reading all the reviews - I'm so glad I did! I didn't include olives since I don't love those, and I added some leftover parmesan cheese from this week's tortellini. I would have liked a bit more dressing, just because it was so thick that it was hard to mix it evenly throughout the salad. The croutons were amazing!0 Helpful
We're a big fan of the Cook Smart 'main meal' salads. Keep them coming!0 Helpful