Italian Chopped Salad
with prosciutto / rye croutons / sun-dried tomato vinaigrette
- Farro, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Prosciutto - 2 oz , roughly chopped
- Green beans - 1 lb , trimmed and chopped into 1" / 2.5cm pieces
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Bread, rye - 3 slices , cubed (sub any sandwich bread)
- Tomatoes, roma - 4 , chopped
- Kalamata olives - 1/2 cup , sliced, drained and rinsed
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Salad greens - 6 oz
- Garlic - 1 clove
- Sun-dried tomatoes in oil - 2 Tbsp
- Basil, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp (use some of the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes if possible)
Cook farro - Double if making Wednesday’s meal. Bring a saucepan of water to boil (just like you would for boiling pasta). Give it a generous sprinkle of salt and add farro. If you bought semi-pearled or husked farro, it should take about 25 minutes to cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make vinaigrette - Double if making Thursday’s meal. Peel and crush garlic (portion for vinaigrette). Combine with sun-dried tomatoes, dried basil, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, honey, and olive oil. Blend until smooth with an immersion blender or standing blender. If the dressing is thick, blend in some water until smooth and pourable. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Prosciutto / Green beans / Garlic (portion for salad) - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Bread - Slice into cubes. Leave uncovered overnight if possible (stale bread makes better croutons). (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Tomatoes - Chop tomatoes.
Olives - Drain and rinse.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add butter and then bread cubes to melted butter. Toast, stirring occasionally, until bread is crisp on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic (portion for salad) and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute more. Season with some salt and pepper.
While croutons are toasting, place green beans in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a damp paper towel and cook in the microwave on high until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Toss green beans with Italian seasoning and some salt.
If farro was made ahead you can reheat it in the microwave (or serve it chilled).
Assemble salads by arranging a bed of salad greens. Top with farro, prosciutto, green beans, tomatoes, olives, and croutons. Top with dressing (reserve half if doubled). Enjoy!