Spring Tortellini with Cream Sauce
and peas / mushrooms
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Pasta, tortellini - 12 oz (sub any fun pasta shape)
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, chopped (look for pre-chopped)
- Peas, frozen or fresh - 1 cup
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Flour - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Heavy cream - 1/2 cup (sub half and half or milk but the result won’t be as creamy)
- Lemon zest - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1 oz, grated
- Shallots / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pasta - Boil pasta according to package directions. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Chop mushrooms. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Peas - If using frozen peas, heat in the microwave or run under warm water to defrost.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add butter and then mushrooms and shallots to melted butter. Saute until mushrooms are tender and golden on the outside, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt.
- To mushrooms add Italian seasoning, garlic, and flour. Saute for 1 minute until no dry spots of flour remain.
- While stirring, slowly add the stock and then the cream. Continue stirring and bring to a low simmer. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 1 minute.
- Add pasta and peas to sauce and stir to combine everything. Taste and season with some salt.
- Top pasta with lemon zest and black pepper. Grate some parmesan cheese on top if you’d like. Enjoy!
This meal is perfect for those nights where you don’t know what to make. I had some frozen tortellini, squash (instead of mushrooms), bacon (instead of prociutto), and broccoli (instead of peas). It worked out great. Just such an easy dish.0 Helpful
Everyone loved this. Served with side salad and garlic bread.0 Helpful
I didn't really follow the recipe, but I used the sauce as a jumping off point for ingredients I had on hand & needed to use up. Very tasty and it's going on the keeper list. I used diced Canadian Bacon and shells but otherwise, followed pretty closely. (and milk instead of cream)0 Helpful
Delicious. The whole family really liked this one; definitely make extra for leftovers!0 Helpful
Classic and comfy!0 Helpful
My husband, 4-year-old son, and I all loved this dish!0 Helpful