Chicken and Pan Sauce
with asparagus and mushroom saute
Chicken and Pan Sauce:
- Prosciutto - 2 oz , chopped
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , halved
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- White wine - 1/4 cup (sub stock)
- Stock, any type - 1 1/4 cup
- Arrowroot powder - 2 tsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp
Asparagus and Mushroom Saute:
- Shallots - 2 cloves , diced
- Asparagus - 10 oz , trimmed and chopped into 1” / 2.5cm pieces
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz , chopped (look for pre-chopped)
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add butter and then mushrooms, asparagus, and shallots to melted butter. Saute until asparagus is tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Season with some salt. Squeeze lemon juice over top.
- Set vegetables aside, covered to keep warm. Return pan to heat and reduce heat to medium.
- To heated pan, add first part of cooking oil and prosciutto. Saute until prosciutto is starting to crisp up, 2 to 3 minutes. Add prosciutto to vegetables (pour off any oil first) and return pan to heat.
- Add second part of cooking oil and then chicken to heated oil. Sear on both sides for 3 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium, and add Italian seasoning, white wine, and stock, scraping up any brown bits that may have formed in the pan. Cover and cook for another 4 to 6 minutes, until chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165F / 74C degrees.
- Whisk together arrowroot powder, water, and mustard.
- Remove cooked chicken from pan and set aside. To remaining liquids in pan, add arrowroot powder mixture. Bring to a simmer and let sauce cook until thick. Turn off heat and season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken with pan sauce over top and vegetable saute on the side. Enjoy!