Spring Tortellini with Cream Sauce
and peas / mushrooms / prosciutto
A version of this quick, satisfying pasta was first included in a meal plan in 2016. The sauce is surprisingly light for a cream-based sauce and the mushrooms and prosciutto add a savory touch.
Spring Tortellini with Cream Sauce:
- Prosciutto - 2 oz , chopped
- Shallots - 2 cloves , diced
- Garlic - 1 clove , chopped
- Pasta, gluten-free tortellini - 12 oz (sub any fun gluten-free pasta shape)
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz , chopped (look for pre-chopped)
- Peas, frozen or fresh - 1 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Flour, any gluten-free - 2 Tbsp (sub almond meal)
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Heavy cream - 1/2 cup (sub half and half or milk but the result won’t be as creamy)
- Lemon zest - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1 oz , grated
- Prosciutto / Shallots / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pasta - Boil pasta according to package directions. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Chop mushrooms. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Peas - If using frozen peas, heat in the microwave or run under warm water to defrost.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Cover a plate with a paper towel and set it near the stove.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then prosciutto. Saute until prosciutto is crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer prosciutto to the paper towel-lined plate. If the saute pan is very oily, drain off all but a very thin layer.
- Return pan to heat and reduce heat to medium. Add butter and then mushrooms and shallots to melted butter. Saute until mushrooms are tender and golden on the outside, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt.
- To mushrooms add Italian seasoning, garlic, and flour. Saute for 1 minute until no dry spots of flour remain.
- While stirring, slowly add the stock and then the cream. Continue stirring and bring to a low simmer. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 1 minute.
- Add pasta and peas to sauce and stir to combine everything. Taste and season with some salt.
- Top pasta with lemon zest, black pepper, and prosciutto. Grate some parmesan cheese on top if you’d like. Enjoy!