Spring Tortellini with Cream Sauce
and peas / mushrooms / prosciutto
Spring Tortellini with Cream Sauce:
- Prosciutto - 2 oz , chopped
- Shallots - 2 cloves , diced
- Garlic - 1 clove , chopped
- Pasta, tortellini - 12 oz (sub any fun pasta shape)
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz , chopped (look for pre-chopped)
- Peas, frozen or fresh - 1 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Flour - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Heavy cream - 1/2 cup (sub half and half or milk but the result won’t be as creamy)
- Lemon zest - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1 oz , grated
- Prosciutto / Shallots / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pasta - Boil pasta according to package directions. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Chop mushrooms. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Peas - If using frozen peas, heat in the microwave or run under warm water to defrost.
- Cover a plate with a paper towel and set it near the stove.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then prosciutto. Saute until prosciutto is crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer prosciutto to the paper towel-lined plate. If the saute pan is very oily, drain off all but a very thin layer.
- Return pan to heat and reduce heat to medium. Add butter and then mushrooms and shallots to melted butter. Saute until mushrooms are tender and golden on the outside, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt.
- To mushrooms add Italian seasoning, garlic, and flour. Saute for 1 minute until no dry spots of flour remain.
- While stirring, slowly add the stock and then the cream. Continue stirring and bring to a low simmer. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 1 minute.
- Add pasta and peas to sauce and stir to combine everything. Taste and season with some salt.
- Top pasta with lemon zest, black pepper, and prosciutto. Grate some parmesan cheese on top if you’d like. Enjoy!