with cauliflower / chickpeas / basmati rice
This twist on an Indian classic is packed with vegetarian protein from lentils and flavored with a homemade spice blend. Round out the dish with rice for soaking up the rich, tomato-based sauce.
Indian Curry Spice Mix:
- Garam masala - 2 tsp
- Curry powder, mild - 2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
Indian Lentils with Cauliflower and Chickpeas:
- Onions - 1 , chopped
- Cauliflower florets, fresh or frozen - 10 oz
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp , chopped
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, crushed (15 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Lentils, red and uncooked - 1 cups
- Stock, any type - 3 1/2 cups
- Cilantro, fresh - 1/4 cup , leaves torn
- Basmati rice, cooked (leftover from Wednesday) - ~1 cup
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Make spice mix - Combine garam masala, curry powder, cumin, ground coriander, and salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Cauliflower (if using fresh) / Ginger / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store onions and cauliflower in their own containers. Combine ginger and garlic. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Limes - Slice into wedges. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Prep cauliflower - If using fresh cauliflower, place florets in a microwave safe bowl with enough water to cover the bottom of the bowl. Cover with a paper towel and microwave on high until cauliflower is tender, 4 to 6 minutes. If using frozen cauliflower, defrost.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add butter and then onions to melted butter. Saute until onions are tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add spice mix, ginger, and garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add crushed tomatoes, lentils, stock, and cauliflower. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While lentils simmer, chop cilantro.
- Reheat rice in the microwave.
- Return to lentil and stir in beans. Simmer for 1 minute more until beans are warmed through. Squeeze a couple of the lime wedges into the lentils. Taste and season with some salt.
- Serve lentils topped with cilantro and yogurt. Add remaining lime wedges on the side.