Korean Steak Stir-Fry
with cauliflower rice / kimchi / sesame cucumbers
Kimchi and a sweet and savory steak marinade give this stir-fry layers of unexpected flavor in a simple, fast weeknight meal. Tangy sesame cucumbers are a refreshing side for the warm stir-fry.
- Cauliflower florets - 24 oz
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp, grated
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 2 Tbsp
- Hot sauce - 1/2 tsp
- Beef, boneless skirt steak - 1 lb, thinly sliced
- Kimchi (opt) - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coleslaw mix - 5 oz
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Cucumbers - 12 oz, chopped
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Sesame seeds, white - 1 tsp
- Cauliflower rice - This makes enough for Thursday. Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Make marinade - Chop garlic and grate ginger. Combine with honey, vinegar (portion for steak), aminos, and hot sauce. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Steak - Slice steak against the grain (i.e., perpendicular to the fibers to prevent toughness). Add marinade and marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Kimchi - Chop kimchi. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate cucumbers - Chop cucumbers. Toss with toasted sesame oil, vinegar (portion for cucumbers), and sesame seeds. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a wok with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add coleslaw mix and steak (with marinade) and saute until marinade has coated steak and steak is cooked through, ~5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in kimchi and lime juice. Taste and season with some salt or some more lime juice.
- Give cucumbers a stir and season with some salt.
- If cauliflower rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave. (Reserve half for Thursday.)
- Serve stir-fry over cauliflower rice. Enjoy with cucumbers on the side.
Really good. Cucumbers weren't my favorite though. I didn't eat it in wraps, I just ate it with rice.0 Helpful
Really liked this. Thought cucumbers were only ok, but I'm not much of a cucumber fan.0 Helpful
Delicious! Use sriracha instead of the Gochujang. Definately make double the yogurt next time!0 Helpful
I added a little extra brown sugar to the marinade, and cooked it down to a syrupy sauce once the steak was done. This meal was delicious & another favorite!0 Helpful
Tasty, tender steak and great slaw! I used double the kimchi, double the cilantro and threw in some scallions I had on hand. This could work as a rice bowl, too. Will definitely become part of my regular rotation.0 Helpful
Needed more lime. Not a lot of flavor0 Helpful