Korean Steak Burritos
with rice / kimchi slaw / sesame cucumbers
Basmati Rice (enough for 2 nights):
- Water - 1 3/4 cups
- Rice, basmati - 1 cup
Korean Marinated Steak:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp , grated
- Brown sugar - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Tamari - 2 Tbsp
- Gochujang - 1/2 tsp (Korean red pepper paste; sub any hot sauce)
- Beef, boneless skirt steak - 1 lb , thinly sliced
Korean Steak Burritos:
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Gochujang - 2 tsp (Korean red pepper paste; sub any hot sauce)
- Kimchi (opt) - 1/4 cup , chopped
- Coleslaw mix - 5 oz
- Oil, cooking - 2 tsp + 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Cilantro - 1/4 cup , leaves torn
- Tortillas, gluten-free and burrito-sized - 4
- Cucumbers - 12 oz , chopped
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Sesame seeds, white - 1 tsp
- Cook rice - This makes enough for Thursday. Fill a saucepan with water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and then add rice. Bring to a simmer, cover, turn heat down to low and cook until rice has absorbed all the liquid, 15 to 18 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make marinade - Chop garlic and grate ginger. Combine with brown sugar, vinegar (portion for steak), Tamari, and Gochujang (portion for steak). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Steak - Slice steak against the grain (i.e., perpendicular to the fibers to prevent toughness). Add marinade and marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make spicy yogurt - Combine yogurt with Gochujang (portion for burritos). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Kimchi - Chop kimchi. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate cucumbers - Chop cucumbers. Toss with toasted sesame oil, vinegar (portion for cucumbers), and sesame seeds. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make kimchi slaw - Combine kimchi, coleslaw mix, first portion of cooking oil, lime juice, and cilantro leaves. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a large skillet with second portion of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add steak (with marinade) and saute until marinade has coated steak and steak is cooked through, ~5 minutes.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave. (Reserve half for Thursday.)
- Give cucumbers a stir and season with some salt.
- Assemble burritos by spreading one side of each tortilla with spicy yogurt. Fill tortillas with rice, kimchi slaw, and steak.
- Serve burritos with cucumbers on the side. Enjoy!