Korean Steak Burritos
with rice / kimchi slaw / sesame cucumbers
This recipe is an East-meets-West mash-up with sweet and savory Korean steak served inside a burrito. Enjoy the dish with tangy sesame cucumbers on the side.
- Water - 1 3/4 cups
- Rice, basmati - 1 cup
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp, grated
- Brown sugar - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Gochujang - 1/2 tsp (Korean red pepper paste; sub any hot sauce)
- Beef, boneless skirt steak - 1 lb, thinly sliced
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Gochujang - 2 tsp (Korean red pepper paste; sub any hot sauce)
- Kimchi (opt) - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Coleslaw mix - 5 oz
- Oil, cooking - 2 tsp + 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Cilantro - 1/4 cup, leaves torn
- Tortillas, burrito-sized flour or corn - 4
- Cucumbers - 12 oz, chopped
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Sesame seeds, white - 1 tsp
- Cook rice - This makes enough for Thursday. Fill a saucepan with water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and then add rice. Bring to a simmer, cover, turn heat down to low and cook until rice has absorbed all the liquid, 15 to 18 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make marinade - Chop garlic and grate ginger. Combine with brown sugar, vinegar (portion for steak), soy sauce, and Gochujang (portion for steak). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Steak - Slice steak against the grain (i.e., perpendicular to the fibers to prevent toughness). Add marinade and marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make spicy yogurt - Combine yogurt with Gochujang (portion for burritos). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Kimchi - Chop kimchi. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate cucumbers - Chop cucumbers. Toss with toasted sesame oil, vinegar (portion for cucumbers), and sesame seeds. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make kimchi slaw - Combine kimchi, coleslaw mix, first portion of cooking oil, lime juice, and cilantro leaves. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a large skillet with second portion of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add steak (with marinade) and saute until marinade has coated steak and steak is cooked through, ~5 minutes.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave. (Reserve half for Thursday.)
- Give cucumbers a stir and season with some salt.
- Assemble burritos by spreading one side of each tortilla with spicy yogurt. Fill tortillas with rice, kimchi slaw, and steak.
- Serve burritos with cucumbers on the side. Enjoy!
Really good. Cucumbers weren't my favorite though. I didn't eat it in wraps, I just ate it with rice.0 Helpful
Really liked this. Thought cucumbers were only ok, but I'm not much of a cucumber fan.0 Helpful
Delicious! Use sriracha instead of the Gochujang. Definately make double the yogurt next time!0 Helpful
I added a little extra brown sugar to the marinade, and cooked it down to a syrupy sauce once the steak was done. This meal was delicious & another favorite!0 Helpful
Tasty, tender steak and great slaw! I used double the kimchi, double the cilantro and threw in some scallions I had on hand. This could work as a rice bowl, too. Will definitely become part of my regular rotation.0 Helpful
Needed more lime. Not a lot of flavor0 Helpful