Tofu Kimchi Fried Rice
with mushrooms / fried egg
- Kimchi - 2 cups, chopped
- Tofu, extra firm (vacuum packed preferable) - 16 oz, ½” / 1.3cm cubes
- Mushrooms, any brown - 8 oz, sliced
- Asparagus - 12 oz, trimmed and chopped into 1” / 2.5cm pieces
- Green onions - 3 stalks, chopped green and white parts separate
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Cooked rice (leftover from Tuesday) - ~1 1/2 cups
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Pickling liquid (from jar of kimchi) - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Kimchi - Place colander / strainer into a bowl and separate pickling liquid from the cabbage.
- Tofu / Mushrooms / Asparagus - Prep as directed. Combine mushrooms and asparagus. Store tofu separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Green onions / Limes - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Toss tofu with cornstarch, salt, and pepper. In a separate bowl, toss leftover rice with first part of cooking oil.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add in second part of cooking oil, and then tofu to heated oil. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, turning until golden on all sides.
- When tofu is golden, add first part of soy sauce and first part of kimchi pickling liquid. Saute tofu in sauce for another 2 minutes. Set tofu aside and wipe out nonstick pan.
- While tofu cooks, heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add third part of oil and then white parts of green onions, mushrooms, and asparagus. Saute until any moisture from the mushrooms is cooked off and vegetables are tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- To vegetables add leftover rice with second parts of soy sauce and pickling liquid. Toss to coat and then fold in kimchi and tofu.
- Set rice aside (covered so it stays warm) and place a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add fourth part of cooking oil and then crack eggs in oil. Fry eggs until cooked to your liking (on one side for sunny-side up, or flip to cook on both sides.)
- Divide rice between serving bowls and top each portion with a fried egg. Garnish with green parts of green onions and lime wedges. Season with some more soy sauce or some hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!
Good! Not a flavor profile I want all the time, but a good way to use up leftover kimchi. I used peas and carrots instead of asparagus because I had them on had.0 Helpful
I don't think I had the full two cups of kimchi - I was trying to use up leftovers and threw in what I had - but this still had a ton of flavor. The leftovers were great too!0 Helpful
Made this for my vegetarian daughter. She loved it! Next time I will chop up the kimchi and mushrooms into smaller bites. It was even better the next day! So happy to have a meal my daughter likes!0 Helpful
Not a personal favorite, but still very good.0 Helpful
Didn't have asparagus but not sure that it would have saved the meal. We were not fans of the overall flavor profile.0 Helpful
Love this dish... definitely going in my Favorites!! For me the amount of kimchi in the recipe was just right.0 Helpful