Tofu Kimchi Fried Rice
with mushrooms / fried egg
If this is your first time trying kimchi (fermented Korean cabbage), this classic Cook Smarts version of fried rice is the perfect recipe to ease you in and got great reviews when we first introduced it to our meal plan service in 2014. The kimchi provides crunch and the pickling liquid from the kimchi provides just the right level of flavor.
Tofu Kimchi Fried Rice:
- Kimchi - 2 cups , chopped
- Tofu, extra firm (vacuum packed preferable) - 16 oz , ½” / 1.3cm cubes
- Mushrooms, any brown - 8 oz , sliced
- Asparagus - 12 oz , trimmed and chopped into 1” / 2.5cm pieces
- Green onions - 3 stalks , chopped green and white parts separate
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Cooked rice (leftover from Tuesday) - ~1 1/2 cups
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Pickling liquid (from jar of kimchi) - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Kimchi - Place colander / strainer into a bowl and separate pickling liquid from the cabbage.
- Tofu / Mushrooms / Asparagus - Prep as directed. Combine mushrooms and asparagus. Store tofu separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Green onions / Limes - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Toss tofu with cornstarch, salt, and pepper. In a separate bowl, toss leftover rice with first part of cooking oil.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add in second part of cooking oil, and then tofu to heated oil. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, turning until golden on all sides.
- When tofu is golden, add first part of soy sauce and first part of kimchi pickling liquid. Saute tofu in sauce for another 2 minutes. Set tofu aside and wipe out nonstick pan.
- While tofu cooks, heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add third part of oil and then white parts of green onions, mushrooms, and asparagus. Saute until any moisture from the mushrooms is cooked off and vegetables are tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- To vegetables add leftover rice with second parts of soy sauce and pickling liquid. Toss to coat and then fold in kimchi and tofu.
- Set rice aside (covered so it stays warm) and place a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add fourth part of cooking oil and then crack eggs in oil. Fry eggs until cooked to your liking (on one side for sunny-side up, or flip to cook on both sides.)
- Divide rice between serving bowls and top each portion with a fried egg. Garnish with green parts of green onions and lime wedges. Season with some more soy sauce or some hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!