Pureed Asparagus Soup
and twice-baked potatoes with cheese
Asparagus soup is a staple of spring. Ours gets extra flavor with the addition of zucchini, which adds thickness to the soup while allowing it to keep that bright green color. Serve the soup with another spring favorite, twice-baked potatoes.
Pureed Asparagus Soup:
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , chopped
- Asparagus - 10 oz , 1/2” / 1.3cm pieces
- Zucchini - 12 oz , diced
- Bacon - 4 strips
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Sour cream - for serving (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
Twice-Baked Potatoes with Cheese:
- Potatoes, medium russet - 4
- Cheese, provolone - 4 slices , torn or sliced into small pieces (sub Swiss)
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Milk - 2 Tbsp (sub stock)
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Pre-cook potatoes - Prick potatoes with a knife. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave on high until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. This will vary based on the size of potatoes; continue cooking until potatoes are soft enough to cut into with a fork. (Alternatively, you can wrap the potatoes in foil, prick a few times with a knife, and bake in a 425F / 218C oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cheese / Onions - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Asparagus / Zucchini - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- While oven heats, halve potatoes and scoop out centers. In a large mixing bowl mash potato filling with sour cream (portion for potatoes), milk, cheese, salt, and pepper. Add a splash more milk if the mixture is thick or difficult to mash. Spoon filling into potato halves. Spread potato halves out on a sheet pan.
- Bake potatoes until filling is golden brown and hot, ~20 minutes.
- While potatoes bake, heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon and fry on both sides until crisp, 5 to 6 minutes total.
- Set bacon on a paper towel-lined plate. Drain off all but 1 Tbsp / 15mL of bacon fat from the Dutch oven and return to heat.
- Add onions to bacon fat. Saute until onions are soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add asparagus and zucchini with some salt. Saute until vegetables are bright green and starting to turn tender, ~3 minutes.
- Pour stock over vegetables and bring to a simmer. Simmer, covered, until asparagus and zucchini are tender, ~15 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a blender (or use an immersion blender) and blend until smooth. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve soup with a spoonful of sour cream on top. Enjoy potatoes on the side. Crumble bacon over both soup and potatoes.