Quinoa Bowls with Cajun Tofu
and black beans / asparagus / pineapple and cucumber salsa
- Tofu, extra firm - 16 oz, 1/2” / 1.3cm cubes (vacuum packed preferable)
- Jalapenos - 1, diced
- Asparagus - 1 lb, chopped
- Pineapple - 1 cup, diced (fresh or canned and drained)
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, diced
- Vinegar, rice - 1 tsp
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Cajun seasoning - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce - 2 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Quinoa - 1 1/2 cups
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Then chop into 1/2” / 1.3 cm cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Quinoa - (Makes enough for 2 nights.) Combine quinoa with stock in a saucepan. Add some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Jalapenos / Asparagus - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pineapple / Cucumbers - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Make salsa - Combine jalapenos, pineapple, and cucumbers with vinegar.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Toss tofu with Cajun seasoning. (If Cajun seasoning doesn’t list salt as an ingredient, season with some salt.)
- Heat a nonstick pan with oil over medium- high heat. Add tofu and cook on all sides until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add asparagus and soy sauce and cover with a lid or foil. Reduce heat to medium and steam until asparagus is tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and gently stir in beans until warmed through.
- If quinoa was made ahead, reheat in the microwave (reserve half for Thursday).
- Give salsa a stir. You can season it with a pinch of salt if you'd like (this will bring out the flavors).
- Assemble bowls by topping quinoa with tofu, asparagus, beans, and salsa. Finish with a spoonful of yogurt and some hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!
Subbed baby carrots rather than quinoa. Awesome0 Helpful
I overcooked the steak (I always manage to somehow), which was a shame because otherwise all of this was delicious0 Helpful
Salsa was the best part.0 Helpful
I wasn't a fan of the salsa, but everything else was great!0 Helpful
I omitted the tofu and just used the black beans as a protein source. It was excellent.0 Helpful
Very easy and tasty. 1 memeber thoight it was bland0 Helpful