Marinated Mojo Skirt Steak
with pineapple salsa / asparagus
Smarts: The recipe includes a sweet and crisp salsa, but if you purchased jarred salsa to be used later in the week, feel free to add a spoonful of that on top as well.
- Jalapenos - 1, diced
- Asparagus - 1 lb, trimmed
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Oranges - 1, juice
- Limes - 1
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Pineapple - 1 cup, diced (fresh or canned and drained)
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, diced
- Vinegar, rice - 1 tsp
- Steak, skirt - 1 1/2 lbs (sub flank or hanger)
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Jalapenos / Asparagus/ Garlic - If prepping right before cooking and using grill, get grill heating before continuing with prep. Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pineapple / Cucumbers - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Marinate steak - Squeeze juice from oranges and limes. Combine with garlic and cumin. Add steak and turn to coat in marinade. Tenderize steak with a fork. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- Make salsa - Combine jalapenos, pineapple, and cucumbers with vinegar.
- Pre-cook asparagus - This step is optional but will help asparagus to get tender on the grill. Place asparagus in a microwave-safe container. Add 2 Tbsp / 30mL of water (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing) and cover with a paper towel. Microwave on high until asparagus is just until starting to turn tender, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Discard steak marinade. Season steak on both sides with some salt and pepper.
- If making steak on grill: Heat grill to 500F / 260C degrees. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Place steak over direct heat. Sear steak for ~4 minutes on each side with the cover closed. Move steak to indirect heat and cook until it reaches desired level of doneness. Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~6 minutes); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~10 minutes).
- If making steak on stovetop: Heat a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with some cooking oil. Place steak onto hot pan. Sear steak for ~4 minutes on each side. Lower heat to medium, cover with foil, and cook until it reaches desired level of doneness. Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~6 minutes); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~10 minutes).
- Remove steak from heat, cover with foil and let rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing across the grain (i.e. perpendicular to the fibers).
- While steak is resting add asparagus to grill, grill pan, or skillet and cook over high heat until starting to blacken in spots. Transfer to a serving plate and season with lemon juice and some salt and pepper.
- Give salsa a stir. You can season it with a pinch of salt if you'd like (this will bring out the flavors).
- Serve steak with salsa on top. Enjoy asparagus on the side.
Subbed baby carrots rather than quinoa. Awesome0 Helpful
I overcooked the steak (I always manage to somehow), which was a shame because otherwise all of this was delicious0 Helpful
Salsa was the best part.0 Helpful
I wasn't a fan of the salsa, but everything else was great!0 Helpful
I omitted the tofu and just used the black beans as a protein source. It was excellent.0 Helpful
Very easy and tasty. 1 memeber thoight it was bland0 Helpful