Seafood Stew with Sausage and Clams
and green salad with citrus
- Zucchini - 1 lb, cubed
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Clams, small and in shell, fresh or frozen - 12 oz, scrubbed and rinsed (sub mussels)
- Italian sausage, uncooked - 16 oz
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Lemon zest - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Oranges, blood - 1, segments (sub regular oranges or canned mandarin oranges)
- Salad greens, any type - 4 oz
- Almonds, slivered or sliced - 1/4 cup
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together mustard, honey, and vinegar. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Cube zucchini. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Oranges / Garlic / Parsley - Prep as directed. Store separately.
- Clams - If using fresh clams, scrub the shells (this will remove any grit / sand) and rinse well under cool water. (Skip this step if using frozen.)
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add sausage and saute, breaking apart, until starting to brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, tomato paste, stock, zucchini, and clams. Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer until clams have opened and are heated through, 6 to 7 minutes (if using frozen clams, you can add them directly to the pan while frozen, but add 3 to 4 minutes).
- Season stew with some salt and pepper. Grate lemon zest and add parsley on top.
- Toss oranges, salad greens, and almonds with vinaigrette.
- Serve stew with salad on the side. Enjoy!
This was SO good! It was almost exactly what I was craving. I wish I had substituted lemon pepper zest for the lemon zest to make it a bit spicier. I added scallops, too! Also, I had to use canned clams because I couldn’t find fresh. I added the water from one of the 2 cans. It was lovely!0 Helpful
I tried to do this with all shrimp instead of clams and ended up getting the timing all wrong, so the shrimp were quite overcooked. My bad. The flavors were still delicious.0 Helpful
My garlic cloves were SO BIG that I think I effectively doubled the garlic. I also added a healthy dose of salt & fresh ground pepper at the same time that I added the lemon zest. As a result, it had a nice kick. Enough to notice, not enough to overshadow the other flavors. I'm not a fan of clams so I used shrimp & scallops. I cooked the shrimp a bit too long, but that's on me, not CS. The recipe is a keeper, but I think I'd like to try again with prawns and BIG fresh scallops. The frozen ones were tiny by the time they were in my bowl. Also added 2-3 TBS of butter toward the end. Seemed a little too watery.0 Helpful
Added shallot.0 Helpful
Absolutely loved it!0 Helpful
So good! I subbed shrimp for clams because I had a lot of shrimp in the freezer. I think I'd swap some of the olive oil for butter and add a little more garlic next time. That probably would have made it a 4-star for me. Also, I skipped the side salad and made green beans instead, so I can't actually rate the side.0 Helpful