Linguine with Shrimp and Clams
and green salad with citrus
Smarts: If you prefer not to use both clams and shrimp in this recipe, feel free to just use one protein.
Smarts: Because the flavors are so simple and clean in this recipe, be sure to season to taste with salt or add some more lemon before serving.
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 12 oz
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Clams, small and in shell, fresh or frozen - 12 oz, scrubbed and rinsed (sub mussels)
- Pasta, linguini - 8 oz (sub spaghetti)
- Reserved pasta water - 1/4 cup
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- White wine - 1/4 cup (use a dry white wine, or sub stock)
- Stock, any type - 1/4 cup
- Lemon zest - 1 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Oranges, blood - 1, segments (sub regular oranges or canned mandarin oranges)
- Salad greens, any type - 4 oz
- Almonds, slivered or sliced - 1/4 cup
- Shrimp - Defrost shrimp.
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together mustard, honey, and vinegar. Add olive oil (portion for salad) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Oranges / Garlic / Parsley - Prep as directed. Store separately.
- Clams - If using fresh clams, scrub the shells (this will remove any grit / sand) and rinse well under cool water. (Skip this step if using frozen.)
- Bring a large stock pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and boil according to package directions. Reserve 1/4 cup / 59mL pasta water (amount for 4 servings; adjust if customizing).
- While pasta cooks, heat a large saute pan with olive oil (portion for pasta) over medium heat. Add clams, red pepper flakes, and garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add wine and stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 4 minutes (if using frozen clams, add 3 to 4 minutes to allow clams to defrost and start heating through).
- Add shrimp and cover the pan with a lid or foil. Continue simmering until shrimp are opaque and clams have opened, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Drain pasta (remember to reserve pasta water).
- Add pasta and reserved water to clams. Stir in parsley. Grate lemon zest and squeeze lemon juice over pasta. Toss to combine. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Toss oranges, salad greens, and almonds with vinaigrette.
- Serve pasta with salad on the side. Enjoy!
This was SO good! It was almost exactly what I was craving. I wish I had substituted lemon pepper zest for the lemon zest to make it a bit spicier. I added scallops, too! Also, I had to use canned clams because I couldn’t find fresh. I added the water from one of the 2 cans. It was lovely!0 Helpful
I tried to do this with all shrimp instead of clams and ended up getting the timing all wrong, so the shrimp were quite overcooked. My bad. The flavors were still delicious.0 Helpful
My garlic cloves were SO BIG that I think I effectively doubled the garlic. I also added a healthy dose of salt & fresh ground pepper at the same time that I added the lemon zest. As a result, it had a nice kick. Enough to notice, not enough to overshadow the other flavors. I'm not a fan of clams so I used shrimp & scallops. I cooked the shrimp a bit too long, but that's on me, not CS. The recipe is a keeper, but I think I'd like to try again with prawns and BIG fresh scallops. The frozen ones were tiny by the time they were in my bowl. Also added 2-3 TBS of butter toward the end. Seemed a little too watery.0 Helpful
Added shallot.0 Helpful
Absolutely loved it!0 Helpful
So good! I subbed shrimp for clams because I had a lot of shrimp in the freezer. I think I'd swap some of the olive oil for butter and add a little more garlic next time. That probably would have made it a 4-star for me. Also, I skipped the side salad and made green beans instead, so I can't actually rate the side.0 Helpful