Colcannon with Mushrooms and Lentils in Gravy
In honor of St. Patrick's day, we're highlighting this Irish pub-inspired meal. Colcannon is mashed potatoes with green cabbage mixed in. Served with mushrooms and lentils in gravy, this meal is hearty and comforting. (And great served alongside a Guinness if you'd like!)
- Cabbage, green - 8 oz , chopped
- Potatoes, russet - 1 lb , peeled and cubed
- Milk, any type - 1/4 cup
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Peas, frozen - 1 1/2 cups , defrosted
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
Mushrooms and Lentils in Gravy:
- Onions, medium and red - 1/2 , sliced
- Carrots - 8 oz , diced
- Mushrooms, any button - 12 oz , chopped (look for pre-chopped to save time)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Flour, all-purpose - 2 Tbsp
- Beer, preferably a dark beer like Guinness - 1/2 cup (sub stock)
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Lentils, pre-cooked - 1 1/2 cups (canned or vacuum-packed)
- Onions / Carrots - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cabbage - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Chop mushrooms (if not pre-chopped). (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Potatoes - Peel and cube potatoes. Place in a saucepan filled with cool water to prevent discoloring.
- Add cabbage to saucepan with potatoes. Season water with some salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered for 12 to 15 minutes until potatoes can be easily pierced by a knife. Drain and let sit in a colander for ~5 minutes to let the steam escape (this creates creamier potatoes vs. liquidy potatoes).
- While potatoes and cabbage are cooking, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and then onions and carrots. Saute until soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and continue cooking until mushrooms are tender, ~3 minutes more.
- Add butter (portion for mushrooms / lentils). When butter melts add flour and stir until flour starts to turn golden brown. Add beer and stock while whisking. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer until gravy thickens, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in lentils and continue cooking until lentils are warmed through.
- Return to potatoes and cabbage. Use a masher to mash steamed potatoes with milk and butter (portion for colcannon). Add some more milk if needed until mash is creamy and smooth. Season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Defrost peas and drain. Then continue to cook in the microwave until hot. Toss with butter (portion for peas) and season with some salt.
- Serve mushrooms / lentils over colcannon. Enjoy peas on the side.