Pizza Hand Pieswith spring green salad
Golden crisp crust filled with classic pizza toppings make these pizza hand pies as fun to make as they are to eat.
- Puff pastry - 10 oz
- Cheese, shredded Italian blend - 5 oz
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Eggs - 1, whisked
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Onions, medium red - 1/2, diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Basil, dried - 2 tsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, crushed (15 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, chopped
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts, chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Peas, frozen - 1/2 cup, defrosted
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Puff pastry - Thaw according to package instructions. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make sauce - Chop onions and garlic. Heat a Dutch oven with olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, dried basil, and tomato paste and saute for 1 minute more. Add crushed tomatoes and sugar. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, ~5 minutes. Taste and season with some salt or a pinch more sugar if you’d like it a bit more sweet. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead.)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together lemon juice, garlic powder (portion for vinaigrette), oregano, honey, and mustard. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cucumbers / Lettuce / Green onions - Prep as directed and combine.
- Peas - Defrost and drain.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Place puff pastry on a sheet pan and slice into 8 small rectangles (amount for 4 servings; adjust if customizing). Fill the center of each rectangle with tomato basil sauce and cheese. (Note: Don’t overfill the puff pastry with sauce. If you have extra sauce, save it for dipping the finished hand pies.)
- Dip your fingers in water and run your fingers around the edges of each rectangle. Fold puff pastry rectangles over to enclose filling and press edges to enclose (the water should help the pastry to stick). Cut a small slit in the top of each pastry.
- Whisk eggs with garlic powder (portion for the hand pies) and Italian seasoning and brush over tops of puff pastry.
- Bake hand pies until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Toss cucumbers, lettuce, peas, and green onions with vinaigrette.
- Serve hand pies with salad on the side. Enjoy!
Quick, easy, and flavorful! Healthy, but feels like cheating with the cheese and sausage. Definitely will try again!!0 Helpful
I made the gluten free version and it was super yummy!!0 Helpful
I used puff pastry and flattened it out to 1.5 times it’s normal size. This makes each pizza just a little bit bigger and I was able to put a fair amount of sauce, mozzarella, and vegetarian sausage in them. My husband and I each had two, plus sides. It was plenty. I also used my toaster oven for 9-11 minutes rather than the big oven. Score! I’m marking the recipe as a favorite to definitely make again.0 Helpful
We loved it. Had to double the recipe to feed 4 though. Just wasn’t enough to fill everyone. We filled ours with artichoke hearts and beef.0 Helpful
So easy and delicious.0 Helpful
Epic fail. Couldn’t use sauce from previous dinner for 4yo so used pesto instead. Store was out of puff pastry so used pizza dough and phyllo dough. A lot of work and ended up pretty greasy.0 Helpful